The Linux Systems Administrator
serves to design and develop Linux system solutions. This position is expected to work on projects of moderate to complex scopes, which may include evolving existing systems or implementing new technology. This position is also responsible for performing analytical, technical and support work in the planning, implementation; documentation and administration of all Linux sever applications and hardware. In addition, this position performs day to day operational tasks such as proactive maintenance, management, monitoring performance, incident and problem management, security, and backup and recovery across the Linux infrastructure. Core Responsibilities
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
- Perform analytical, technical and administrative work in the planning, design, installation,
- Documentation and administration of all Linux sever applications and hardware
- Serves as a lead technical troubleshooter and coordinator on complex Linux issues affecting mission critical applications
- Defines Linux server security and access control
- Ensures that documentation of Linux server topology and system configurations are maintained
- Author detailed system design documents
- Provide vision and strategy for Enterprise storage and backup protection
- Oversees and Enterprise monitoring implementation and strategy
- Propose and submit solution recommendations, including costs, benefits, risks and ROI
- Oversees and performs server maintenance duties
- Support end users as required to provide a positive customer experience including after hour coverage
- Proactively identify ongoing cost optimization, performance enhancement, and growth strategies
- Performs research and analysis for potential technology solutions to business needs.
- Seeks opportunities to automate or streamline manual tasks
- Delivers emerging technology presentations
- Stays up-to-date with technical and industry developments.
- May plan, schedule and coordinate the tasks of others
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists others in the performance of their duties as required
- Adheres to the established processes and procedures within the IS Department
- Establishes and maintains close working relationships with vendors and service providers
- Prepares and delivers informative, well-organized presentations and communications
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Provides mentoring to junior team members as appropriate
- Plans, schedules and coordinates Linux Server activities
- May lead medium to large Network Infrastructure lifecycle upgrade projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum 6 years of progressively senior experience working as a Linux Systems Administrator for a medium to large enterprise with complex technology environments
- Solid knowledge of RedHat and Suse Linux distributions, VMware, Azure IaaS, Oracle Linux Virtual Manager, Ansible, bash, PowerShell, NginX, Apache, Commvault, Splunk, Enterprise monitoring tools.
- Experience providing technical leadership and/or individual mentorship, an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong troubleshooting problem solving and analytical skills
- Skill in systems testing of specification requirements.
- Skill in business or technical writing as evidenced by previous work-related experience.
- Ability in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to effectively participate in multiple major projects or project roles or lead a variety of project team activities/tasks.
- Ability to perform objective analysis and re-engineering of business processes to maximize quality service and cost-effectiveness.
- Proven experience working on successful information systems project teams.
- Post-secondary graduate with a degree, diploma or certificate in computer science or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
This position is based out of our Vernon office with a possibility to work remotely. About Kal Tire
- Occasional travel may be required
- Ability to participate in on-call after hours support rotation is required
- Evening and occasional weekend work will be required
- Must have own transportation and a valid driver's license.
Kal Tire is the largest independently owned tire dealer in Canada with over 250 locations. Our business philosophy centers on exceeding our customers' expectations and relies on our entrepreneurial team members to provide exceptional customer service.