Linux System Engineer
Reference ID: 768616
Do you enjoy watching the latest movies, television shows, or sporting events on your computer, tablet or smartphone? Do you hate waiting for your pages to load or your show to re-buffer? Good - us too.
Amazon CloudFront is a web service for content delivery and one of the cornerstones of AWS. We bring the Internet closer to end users, speeding up the user experience. CloudFront integrates with other Amazon Web Services to give developers and businesses an easy way to distribute content (webpages, games, movies, live streams, etc.) to end users with low latency and high data transfer speeds. CloudFront uses a global network of edge locations to cache and route requests to the best possible location based on known latency, available capacity and many other factors. We build for massive scale and performance.
We're building a SRE team dedicated to expanding our CloudFront service and its reliability for our customers. We are seeking talented Linux System engineers skilled in the art of integration, automation and scale who can bridge gaps between systems, software, and ops and will focus on delivering solid, scalable systems. You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You'll become an expert at CloudFront platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability that sustains the platform's insane growth. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
You will design and refine systems to improve the availability, latency, scalability and performance aspects of an planet scale service. Participate in resolving emergent service problems and build auto-mitigation and auto-healing to reduce the blast radius or prevent reoccurrence. This position is perfect for you if you're interested in creating tools and automation so that engineers can be as hands-off as possible. We want our service to be as autonomous as possible and that can only be done by having bright individuals who understand how to think big, simplify solutions to complex, never before seen problems; all while ensuring that the customer continues to have the best experience possible. You should be an engineer who is focused on developing internal systems written in Python, Java, C or a similar language. You also have a comfortable understanding of Linux, networking and cloud services
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
• 4+ years of experience operating in a Unix, Linux, or Red Hat environment
• 4+ years of overall distributed system management experience, TCP/IP networking, architecture, and core technologies (such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Routing, VPN)
• 2+ years of automation and scripting experience in any of the programming languages like Python, Ruby, Perl ,Java, shell, or other scripting languages
• Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause, implementing automated software testing, scripting, deployment, and performance analysis systems.
• MS degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Solid understanding of Linux OS internals, server architectures, network protocols and technologies.
• Development of systems management and Tier 1 service administration automation experience in Perl, Python, Ruby, or Java
Posted: March 21, 2019
Closes: May 20, 2019