Lead, Financial Analyst (18 months)
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Lead, Financial Analyst plays a key role in the day-to-day preparation of various financial analysis requested by senior management and business units. The analysis may include actual to budget variances, historical trend data, and forecast/forward looking information. In addition, the analysis of the information is typically presented in graphical form and power point presentations. The position also plays an important role in deep dives of complex financial information at the operational level to assist in the assurance of external reported results.
The successful candidate will be also skilled at tasks related to the creation of reports in Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) and Essbase Planning using Oracle report writer, using excel functionalities extensively. The successful candidate requires experience in ad-hoc reporting using the system functionalities and expert experience in MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, etc. These ad-hoc reports and other presentations as required will need to be provided to the Assistant Controller, CFO, Senior Management Team, and across Business Units. Responsibilities
Manage and prepare consolidation of in-house insurance companies (2 entities)
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work closely with Assistant Controller to investigate variances and understand complex issues as they arise. These can be across the various business units and requires the need to communicate with various stakeholders at operations and head office level.
- Respond to constant ad-hoc requests from CFO/Senior Management for information, which may include forward looking forecast information and preparation of data visually in waterfall charts or powerpoint presentations.
- Prepare price volume analysis and investigate and understand results.
- Prepare unit cost reporting for various business units used for external reporting requirements.
- Contribute to the review of the quarterly external Management Discusison & Analysis and prepare portions of Investor Relations conference call presentation slide deck
- Maintain monthly management reporting booklet. Requires liaison with financial consolidation group to keep current of any account and entity structure changes.
- Provide various regular reported information across corporate business groups, including Investor Relations, Environmental, Internal Audit, Tax, other groups in Finance.
- Contribute to the Finance transformation that is taking place across the finance functions at Teck.
- Support financial consolidation team with any needed understanding and solving complex financial issues.
- Maintain report accuracy and relevance with regular updates of all report logic and format as business needs, processes and systems change.
- Work cross-functionally to assist in various financial and reporting requirements and decisions while ensuring that best practices of corporate standards and policies are complied with.
Annual Financial Budget
- Liaison with Insurance department and external service companies.
- Prepare working papers from the detailed financial statements provided on a quarterly basis and summarize information for financial consolidation team and system.
- Review entity financial statements, source data, trends and balances of consolidated results.
- Create and post consolidation journal entries that are complex in nature. Analyze trends, results and allocations of the consolidation.
- Prepare documentation to be reviewed by the Assistant Controller every quarter for SOX purposes.
Return on Capital Employed (ROCE) Reporting
- Annual budget prepared in November and final budget update prepared in February.
- Work closely with Assistant Controller and Financial Planning group to analyze and investigate variances and trends.
- Prepare PowerPoint slide deck presentations for Senior Management, Board of Directors and Audit Committee. This includes presentation of graphs, waterfalls charts, and special ad-hoc presentation and analysis as needed.
- Support Financial Planning group for detailed analysis of complex issues and prepare summary of findings as needed.
- Work closely with the Assistant Controller to prepare and report ROCE on a quarterly basis.
- Reporting summarized to Senior Management and Board of Directors.
- Entails liaising with the Financial Planning group to to provide a flexed budget, analyzing and understanding variances and summarize to Senior Management.
- Update historical financial data information database quarterly in a pre-specified format and specific methodology.
- Liaison with statistics Canada, creation, and supply of special quarterly reports, reviewed by the Assistant Controller.
- Creation of reports for end-users across finance group as needed.
- A CPA or equivalent designation and 10 years' experience in a large organization in a senior accounting or financial analyst role.
- Advanced computer and mathematical skills and in-depth knowledge of various software packages. Example: Hyperion Financial Management (HFM), Hyperion Planning, Essbase, Excel, Power Point, Onestream.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Preferable background in mining industry or natural resources sector.
- Ability to work well in both team and individual situations.
- Solutions focused with an ability to think critically and troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to take initiative and multitask.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results under tight reporting deadlines and be well organized.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to review processes, identify/implement process improvements and influence change.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information. Job Segment:
Financial, Financial Analyst, Oracle, Database, ERP, Finance, Technology
Banking, Finance and Insurance