July 30, 2021
Reporting to the Manager of Data Science as part of the RACE21 digital transformation team, the Lead Data Scientist will design, plan, develop, and deliver advanced analytics solutions as part of an integrated team to improve performance of Teck's coal and base metals operations.
You will work closely with a variety of business and technical stakeholders to define technical problems and corresponding hypotheses, develop efficient and accurate analytical models, perform regular testing and maintenance of analytical models to improve efficiency and ensure alignment with changing business needs. This will require data exploration and preparation, modelling, implementation of the advanced analytical tools and integration into a suite of products to achieve business value. Who You Are
- You are a highly effective and customer-obsessed advanced analytics professional
- You are passionate about product innovation and creating a step change leveraging the power of cloud, big data and advanced analytics
- You have experience working on data-intensive projects, using modern data platforms and tools and advanced analytics methods and approaches
- You are comfortable working with minimal direction and exercising considerable latitude in determining objectives and leading other data scientists
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Actively seek and assess opportunities to apply advanced analytics to optimize performance across Teck's operations in North and South Americas
- Partner with and elevate a team of data scientists, providing leadership through consulting and coaching on a regular basis
- Lead end-to-end design and implementation of Machine Learning and Data Analytics solutions for 2-3 use cases at a time to optimize productivity, safety and sustainability:
- Work with a variety of business stakeholders to identify and prioritize use cases
- Identify, profile and analyze large, complex, multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools to draw relevant insights
- Use data science techniques to find data patterns, anomalies and optimization opportunities through analytical solutions
- Solve complex business problems by designing, developing and implementing sustainable advanced analytics solutions
- Plan model operationalization and rollout of solutions to business users
- Plan projects and communicate project status, emerging issues, and next steps to relevant stakeholders in the organization
- Identify new ways of piloting models, actively sourcing and incorporating feedback with learnings from the field
- Provide expert guidance on Teck's data, systems and environment to external partners and vendors providing data science and data engineering services
- Write highly optimized and reusable code extending our internal data science toolkit and contributing to an enterprise-wide platform for advanced analytics called Galileo
- Support hiring and onboarding of new data scientists in collaboration with Manager of Data Science and HR team
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time to Teck's operations across North and South Americas
- PhD or Master's degree in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent
- 7+ years of relevant industry work experience developing advanced analytics solutions
- A deep understanding of a variety of statistical modelling and machine learning approaches and ability to apply them to business problems
- Demonstrated proficiency with programming languages such as Python, R, SQL
- Experience with popular machine learning frameworks, libraries and utilities
- Experience with popular optimization framework and libraries (Gurobi, IBM Cplex, etc.)
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools
- Experience with a wide range of data collection systems including edge computing technologies
- Working knowledge of at least one enterprise-grade cloud computing platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple projects
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of agile, multidisciplinary teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and previous experience coaching and mentoring data scientists
- Interest in gaining the knowledge of mining industry and systems used in engineering, operations, process control and maintenance functions
- Experience or education in mineral processing, maintenance, process control or supply chain would be an asset
- Experience with real-time systems that support Asset Health, Dispatch and/or Processing workflows would be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources #LI-AN1 Job Segment:
Database, Scientific, Engineer, Scientist, Consulting, Technology, Engineering, Science