April 23, 2021
Reporting to the Sr. Process Mineralogist, Applied Mineralogy & Geosciences, Technical Services in Trail BC, the junior geologist is accountable for supporting a coal and coke set-up petrography lab at Technical Services Trail (TST). This lab will provide mineralogical information to TSR, Coal Geoscience Services, Coal Technical Marketing and Teck's steelmaking coal sites to build Teck's orebody knowledge for raw, cleaned and transformed coal. The incumbent will actively support the lab set-up development, commission it, and start with the benchmarking work planned for 2021.
The incumbent should have knowledge of coal and coke petrography and other related analytical methods. The position will be based at Technical Services in Trail (TST), BC, which is part of Teck's Technical Services Group with facilities in BC, including Richmond, Trail and at Head Office in Vancouver. There will also be varying amounts of personal / personnel development related to the position. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Establish and promote the maintenance and continual improvement of a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible working environment through a courageous personal commitment to TST's over-arching policies and Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Management System as well as EHS policies and management systems at off-site locations
- Support the set-up of the coal and coke petrographic lab through a detailed literature review acquiring all the standards needed for the method development
- Assist technicians with the refinement of polishing techniques for polished section preparation to meet the ISO- and ASTM-standards
- Based on training provided by various experts and the ISO- and ASTM standards, support the workflow of routines measurement for coal and coke petrography, respectively
- Liaise with external parties to select the appropriate samples to benchmark against
- Conduct coal and coke petrography analyses and microscopy with corresponding results interpretation through the integration of other data sets available, such as X-ray Diffraction (XRD) and Mineral Liberation Analyser (MLA)
- Support and carry out equipment maintenance and calibration
- Present results in a user-friendly platform such as Power Bi in addition to Excel
- Support and maintain a database with results in acQuire
- Support applied mineralogy and geoscience projects through the stages outlined above with key success factors aligned to the project business case, including health and safety, environmental compliance, technical outcomes, schedule, cost, and quality
- Train the Applied Mineralogy and Geoscience team members on the various coal and coke petrography routines and generate high-quality SOPs that will assist with knowledge transfer
- Support the development of including machine learning to aid the interpretation
- Effectively communicate key messages and recommendations as an embedded team member through the contribution of high-quality technical reports and delivery of presentations to all levels of the company
- Graduate degree, with a strong preference for a post-graduate degree in Mineralogy, Geology, Metallurgy, Environmental Mineralogy, Geometallurgy or Earth Sciences.
- Progressive experience during studies of at least one year in coal and coke petrography
- Post-graduate experience (MSc or Ph.D. level) in coal geology/mineralogy is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn about new fields through knowledge development and deep critical and conceptual thinking to be able to challenge the thinking of external experts
- Experience associated with laboratory experience and data integration is desired
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, specifically in English, are required. The ability to communicate in Spanish is beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to support highly collaborative multi-disciplinary teams to deliver value and share best practices across operations and projects
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work under minimal supervision and manage priorities/projects simultaneously to meet firm deadlines
- Advanced knowledge in using various types of computer software (Microsoft Office, Power BI, R, others) is desired
- Working knowledge of geochemical databases and 3-D modelling software such as ioGAS and Leapfrog would be beneficial
- The candidate will be a motivated scientist
- Able to travel to Teck mines and exploration sites if needed
- At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
#LI-FR1 Job Segment:
Chemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Geology, Science, Engineering, Mining