WSP is currently seeking an Electrical Engineer-in-Training or Junior Electrical Engineer to join our Electrical Buildings team, located at our Victoria office.
WSP's electrical engineering team in Victoria engages in various projects in the commercial, industrial, healthcare, educational, light industrial and transportation sectors in BC and the Yukon. Reporting to an Electrical Team Lead, this position will be responsible for assisting in electrical design, preparing documentation, technical work including modelling, drafting and calculations, construction reviews and administration.
A day in the life:
- You'll be using your expertise to design electrical systems for a wide variety of building types and locations throughout BC and the Yukon (having your PSPC Reliability clearance would be a huge asset!).
- You will be contributing to a design team of electrical engineers and technicians, focused on technical solutions, developing electrical designs, communicating with clients and other design professionals, and preparing project drawings and specifications.
- You will be working on the design of power distribution (normal and backup power), lighting, fire alarm, data and security systems for buildings.
- You'll be developing the electrical building information model in collaboration with architectural, structural, mechanical and civil designers and engineers.
- You'll be ensuring the electrical design complies with the BC Building Code, the Canadian Electrical Code, and other codes as required.
- Understanding and practicing safe work procedures
- Reporting directly to a Team Lead
- Working in a team environment
- Working on a wide range of project assignments within the buildings electrical engineering field, including power distribution, infrastructure, lighting, life safety, communications, data and security systems.
- Taking responsibility for a variety of project assignments in various phases of project development and implementation.
- Communicating effectively with the design team, clients, design professionals, contractors and authorities having jurisdiction
- Reliably and promptly responding and attending to clients' needs
- Following established quality assurance and quality control processes
- Understanding and adhering to project budgets and timelines
- Reviewing and assessing existing systems and preparing condition reports.
- Preparing system calculations utilizing industry standard lighting analysis software
- Selecting equipment and preparing project specifications
- Coordinating preparation of project drawings utilizing industry standard CAD and BIM software.
- Reviewing project construction progress and managing construction phase administrative tasks
- Participating in project tracking
- Participation in business development activities where requested
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- Electrical Engineering Degree.
- Eligibility for EIT registration with EGBC
- Up to 4 years of experience in electrical design engineering consulting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- A "can do" attitude, courteous communication, an organized approach to workplace tasks and responsibilities, attention to detail, ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to participate in a team to deliver design submissions, often with demanding timelines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and AutoCAD. Working knowledge of Revit, AGI or ETAP is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Canadian Electrical Code, BC Building Code and the National Building Code of Canada.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.