Job Title: Junior Data Engineer
Requisition ID: R012863
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall®, Tony Hawk®, Guitar Hero®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders™ and Call of Duty® -- our obsession is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's our people.
We're currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Join us, make history. To learn more, check us out at www.activision.com, www.activisiongamesblog.com or @Activision on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Activision Data Pipeline team is looking for a Junior Data Engineer to help contribute to the development of our near-realtime pipeline and platform, processing tens of billions of messages per day, feeding our petabyte-scale Data Lake, high-volume stream customers, and API-based access tools. Game development is a highly dynamic, fast paced environment with numerous challenges beyond boilerplate data pipeline work.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Working on development of our Java-based data pipeline, and keeping it up-to-date with the latest technologies that align with the ever-increasing demand for higher-volume, lower-latency data.
• Accountable for the development and production-readiness of multiple large-scale components throughout our data pipeline.
• Documenting and presenting key learnings & best practices to the team.
• Ensuring we meet our SLAs/SLOs, including participation in our team support rotation
• Balancing the needs of a highly dynamic customer environment with the need for highly robust production systems.
• Approach all systems and interactions with a customer-first focus, including a solid understanding of the trade-offs between rapid solutions and overall platform stability.
• Collaborating with Activision's Cloud Infrastructure team to ensure optimal configuration of our GCP-based platform.
• A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
• Proven verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical ideas to end users.
• 1+ years of experience with Java, Python, Scala, and/or other relevant languages.
• Excellent programming skills, preferably in Java.
• A good grasp of fundamental algorithms and data structures.
• Excellent debugging and analytical skills.
• Exposure to Big Data technologies (Spark, Kafka, etc.) a strong nice-to-have.
• Experience with SQL and database a strong nice-to-have.
• Real-world experience of working with Linux/Unix, version control, containers, etc.
• Knowledgeable and passionate about software development best practices, including testing and build automation.
What We Offer
• An excellent salary
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• Pension matching contributions
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Free Activision Games
• Snacks 24/7
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source