Ballard's Product Engineering Department has an opening for an intermediate Mechanical Engineer
to join the Mechanical Engineering team developing the next generation of Ballard's fuel cell power systems. The successful candidate will work within a structured environment to apply their strong technical skills to the selection and design of mechanical components and sub-systems, the design and verification/validation plan for new products, and support testing in the lab and in the field.Responsibilities:
- Participate in the design of mechanical system components, including sourcing and verification, structural design, and mechanical layout of components.
- Ensure conformance with Ballard's product development and engineering maturity processes.
- Generate engineering documentation for mechanical systems and components, including component design requirements and specifications, design review and release materials, detailed test plans and conformity assessments.
- Prepare and report out to internal and external stakeholders on progress identifying conformance to requirements, gaps and risks.
- Participate and contribute to informal and formal design reviews
- Develop cost effective designs that meet functionality, durability, and robustness requirements.
- Initiate and lead characterization and performance validation testing of system components
- Lead failure analysis investigations on failed mechanical systems and components.
- Identify and interact with 3 rd party suppliers of mechanical systems and components.
- Support mechanical design during fuel cell system commissioning in the field.
- Participate in growing the functional competency of the Mechanical Engineering team.
- Degree in mechanical engineering or a related field and at least 3-6 years of directly related experience.
- Experience in both industrial and product development settings especially in the development of complex finished products manufactured in high volume.
- Good knowledge of structural design, thermodynamics, heat transfer, shock and vibration, GD&T, fabrication processes, assembly processes, and selection of general mechanical components.
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to meet cost and functional requirements.
- Proven ability to work to tight time schedules and commitments for deliverables; determine scope of work and plan effectively to meet those commitments.
- Ability to work independently making sound decisions with focus on the goal.
- Experience with standard engineering practices such as DFMEA, Product Certification, Codes and Standards, and Safety & Reliability Analysis.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of design and manufacture of cast metal components.
- Skilled CAD user - CREO preferred.
- Experience with dealing with outside vendors and fabrication shops.
- Practical experience with process engineering systems and equipment
- Previous background with fuel cells and/or fuel cell systems is preferred.
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellent | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.