culture and a workforce filled with genuinelygood people
who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
WSP is seeking an intermediate Indigenous Engagement and Consultation Specialist to join our BC Earth and Environment team on a full-time basis. Our team of environmental scientists, social scientists, cultural heritage and engagement specialists work throughout BC and elsewhere in Canada and internationally on environmental impact assessments, environmental permitting, policy and program development, impact management planning, and sustainability initiatives. As part of WSP's commitment to working with Indigenous communities, this position is accountable for planning and carrying out Indigenous engagement, working collaboratively with Indigenous nations and communities on studies as part of this work, and contributing to the development of our Indigenous engagement practice. The successful candidate will be provided the opportunity to work on interesting and diverse projects across WSP's practice areas and business lines.A day in the life...
As part of the Earth & Environment team, your primary focus will be on the engagement of Indigenous communities to support environmental assessment (EA) and permitting of our clients' projects. The work will include preparing engagement plans, carrying out engagement activities on behalf of our clients, tracking and reporting on the results of consultation and engagement and, in collaboration with Indigenous nations and communities, supporting the completion of Indigenous Knowledge and Traditional Land Use studies, assessment of the impacts of projects on Indigenous rights and interests, and developing mitigation and monitoring programs. You will also collaborate with other WSP staff as part of EA and permitting, supporting the integration of Indigenous Knowledge issues, interests and input across disciplines and throughout the regulatory process.
While your work will be focused on the delivery of engagement for EA and permitting of projects, you will support the work of our corporate Indigenous Relations team. You will build meaningful relationships with Indigenous communities, nations, businesses and individuals, while adhering to WSP's Indigenous Relations Policy and direction from the national Indigenous Relations lead. Your work will be highly collaborative, supporting the participation of Indigenous nations in EA and permitting processes. As part of the position you will remain current and contribute to the continual advancement of best practices in engagement and Indigenous participation consistent with the expectations of Indigenous nations, regulatory requirements, and international standards. You will also contribute to proposal preparation, technical presentations and publications.
Field work and travel are essential components of the work, and you might be working in communities in various parts of British Columbia. There will also be opportunities to work across Canada depending on project need. You will act as a subject matter expert and provide strategic advice to all business lines within British Columbia and collaborate with others nationally.What you'll bring to WSP...
- A college or university degree (graduate degree preferred) in a social science or natural resource management, or other relevant program;
- A minimum of 5 years working in a similar role in the private sector or for an Indigenous nation;
- An in-depth knowledge of Indigenous history, culture and governance;
- An in-depth knowledge of the Canadian regulatory and policy context, including leading practice in Indigenous engagement and participation;
- Practical experience working with Indigenous leadership and communities in British Columbia;
- Great communication skills, both oral and written. Knowledge of an Indigenous language would be an asset. Knowledge of both English and French would be an asset;
- Excellent work ethic, with strong organization and time management skills;
- A valid driver license and access to transportation;
- A degree or professional designation is preferred (such as social sciences), although proven practical experience is also highly valued;
- A strong passion - WSP will give serious consideration to candidates that may not demonstrate all the above qualifications but show promise and a desire to develop their career in this area of practice.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.