Company: Finning International Inc.Posting End Date: Number of Opening:
As part of the Decision Support Services Team at Finning International, the Global Data Architect will be responsible for the development and on-going support of Finning's Data Platform Architecture, Data Integration Architecture, Enterprise Data Model, and Governance and Data Management Program/Framework.
The Global Data Architect will also play a key role in aligning with the BI and Decision Support Services strategy. The Global Data Architect will work with the Global team at Finning International, as well as regional teams from Finning Canada, Finning
South America, and Finning UK&I on establishing standards for information gathering, storage, security, and reporting.
Working with multiple projects, the Global Data Architect will facilitate the collection of information requirements, as well as the development and management of conceptual, logical and physical data models to support the data and information needs of the business community, ensuring reusability, integration, and optimization. Job Description:
Major Job Functions:
- This role will be responsible for developing a governance model/framework as well as providing best practices in data management while working in coordination with the Decision Support Services, Finning Architecture team to manage the development of business data models.
- Contribute to BI solutions architecture.
- Work closely with both the Finning Architecture Team to assist in defining the Decision Support Services systems and Technical Infrastructure product roadmaps.
- Responsible for designing, optimizing and creating migration methods for existing data, and developing automated conversion.
- Create and communicate a long-term data architecture vision that balances short and long term goals.
- Keep own, and team's work aligned with Finning goals, understand the heavy equipment service management landscape and proactively adjust strategic plans
- Facilitate business planning and the development of cross functional strategies, and enable the use of operating models, blueprints and other architecture artifacts to contribute to identifying the capabilities needed to achieve enterprise goals
- Facilitate and contribute to product selection in data architecture-related areas
- Work collaboratively with internal and external vendor teams to provide architectural guidance and reviews.
- Work with both our infrastructure partner and technical environment team to develop and test disaster recovery scenarios for the enterprise environment as well as other logically integrated systems
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Customer-centric, collaborative mindset
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a broad group of technical and business subject matter experts
- Experience working in the Microsoft BI stack (SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS)
- Knowledge of Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Platform and its IaaS/PaaS/SaaS offerings.
- Knowledge of Data Replication, CDC toolsets and methodologies
- Excellent time management, planning, and prioritization skills
- Solid organizational, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work with ambiguity
- Strong work ethic and self-driven
- Knowledge of data warehouse, data mart and database technologies, standards, and methodologies
- Good understanding of database and data warehouse design theory (logical and physical)
- Good understanding of ETL and ELT design and theory
- Knowledge of agile practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of data lifecycle and industry standards
- Knowledge of BI & analytic tools such as Tableau, Power BI, SAP Business Objects, Cognos
- Understanding of SAP landscape, including BW, ECC, HANA, SLT, Data Services are an asset
- Understands and adheres to Finning policies and procedures, including safety
- In-depth understanding and experience in design and development of data integration solutions following various data integration patterns, including Enterprise Application Integration (EAI), Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL), and Extract, Load, Transform (ELT)
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of 5-8 years of Data Architecture experience
- In-depth experience with Data Modelling (both normalized models for operational systems, and data warehouse models for Auditing, Reporting, and Analytic systems), business process modelling and workflow
- Experience with complex global Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) implementation and sustainment projects
- Experience with complex business integration environments with centralized and decentralized models
- Extensive experience with data modeling and migration tools
- Direct experience managing and contributing to large and complex BI projects
- Has worked successfully with geographically dispersed teams
- Familiarity with the Caterpillar organization is an asset
- Experience with (equipment) service management focused organizations would be an asset
- A Degree in computer science, engineering or a technology-related field
- Formal and informal training in Information Technology, including data architecture and data modelling
- CBIP certificate/TDWI education is an asset
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.