March 31, 2023Job Summary:
Reporting to the Geotechnical Supervisor, the Geotechnical Drill Technician will be responsible for supporting a large and complex mineral deposit development program on site. The incumbent will contribute as a member of the field team and will have a wide range of duties focused on technical core processing, while upholding rigorous safety standards. The position is focused on a field program at Galore Creek, a world-class porphyry copper-gold deposit.Overview:
This position is based out of the Galore Creek project site, a remote fly-in camp located in northwestern British Columbia. Galore Creek will provide travel to and from the project site. This role is expected to be working on site on a rotational basis of 14 days in, 14 days out from June until October, with the possibility of office-based work both before and after the field season.
Located in northwestern British Columbia, Galore Creek is one of the world's largest undeveloped porphyry copper-gold-silver deposits. Galore Creek Mining Corporation (GCMC), a partnership between Newmont Corporation and Teck Resources Limited, is committed to improving the project economics and advancing the asset towards development. Working closely with the Tahltan Nation and local communities, we strive for excellence in all our activities, with continuous improvement and responsible practices that contribute to sustainable development.
More information on the Project is available at www.gcmc.ca . Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader; lead by example and foster a proactive safety and sustainability culture based on the common values of health, safety, environment, and communities shared by the asset owners (Teck and Newmont).
- Actively seek opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards, resolve safety issues and work to mitigate associated risks in the workplace.
- Geotechnical soil/rock classification, drill core logging, and sampling.
- Field-level testing of soils and drill core.
- Geotechnical testing/instrumentation installation including hydraulic packer, Acoustic televiewer, piezometers, and Monitoring wells.
- Drill contractor oversight.
- Work up to 12 hours, with the possibility of nightshift.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the project team on geotechnical, exploration, mining, and environmental data collection and integration.
- Communicate results and plans both written and orally in an efficient manner.
The above accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive. Qualifications:
- Degree or technical diploma in Geoscience or Engineering from an accredited curriculum.
- More than one (1) year of field related geoscience experience. Relevant academic project work is an asset.
- Experience related to geotechnical investigations including, drill core logging (RMR76, RMR89), soils logging (ASTM D2487), drill rig oversight, geotechnical soils/rock testing is considered an asset.
- Experience using a IPI SWiPS Hydraulic packer, Mt.Sopris winch, or any geotechnical piezometers/dataloggers is an asset.
- Previous experience working with drill rigs and helicopters is an asset.
- Strong computer skills, with experience in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
- Experience working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to liaise with contractors and all persons on site in a respectful and professional manner.
- Ability to safely and comfortably lift 25 kg samples.
- A results-focused attitude and strong time management skills.
- Valid Class 5 Driver's license.
At Galore Creek, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Galore Creek respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Learn more about Galore Creek at www.gcmc.ca .
#LI-DF1 Job Segment:
Geology, Technician, Instrumentation, Curriculum, Engineer, Engineering, Technology, Education