March 1, 2024 Job Summary
Reporting to the Geotechnical Drill Supervisor, the Geotechnical Drill Technician will be responsible for supporting a large and complex mineral deposit development program on site . The successful candidate will contribute as a member of the field team and will have a wide range of duties focused on technical core processing, while upholding rigorous safety standards. The position is focused on a field program at Galore Creek, a world-class porphyry copper-gold deposit that is currently being evaluated in a prefeasibility study. Overview
This position is based out of the Galore Creek project site, a remote fly-in camp located in northwestern British Columbia. GCMC will provide travel to and from the project site. This role is expected to be working on site on a rotational basis of 15 days on, 13 days off from July until September 2024.
Located in northwestern British Columbia, Galore Creek is one of the world's largest undeveloped porphyry copper-gold-silver deposits. Galore Creek Mining Corporation (GCMC), a partnership between Newmont Corporation and Teck Resources Limited, is committed to improving the project economics and advancing the asset towards development. Working closely with the Tahltan Nation and local communities, we strive for excellence in all our activities, with continuous improvement and responsible practices that contribute to sustainable development.
More information on the Project is available at www.gcmc.ca. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader; lead by example and foster a proactive safety and sustainability culture based on the common values of health, safety, environment, and communities shared by the asset owners (Teck and Newmont).
- Actively seek opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards, resolve safety issues and work to mitigate associated risks in the workplace.
- Accurately collect geotechnical soil/rock classification data and carry out field-level testing and sampling of soil/rock core at a sheltered rig-side logging facility.
- Assist with geotechnical testing and instrumentation installation (hydraulic packer, acoustic televiewer, piezometers, and monitoring wells).
- Work up to 12 hours, with some nightshift rotations possible based on field requirements.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the project team on geotechnical, exploration, mining, and environmental data collection and integration.
- Communicate results and plans both written and orally in an efficient manner.
The above responsibilities and accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive. Qualifications
- Currently enrolled in, or recent graduate of, a Geological Sciences, Geological or Civil Engineering program, or related technical diploma; relevant field experience will be considered in lieu.
- No previous work experience is required, but field or academic experience in rock mechanics, soil mechanics or hydrogeology is considered a strong asset.
- Experience related to geotechnical field investigations and data compilation including drill core logging (RMR76, RMR89), soils logging (ASTM D2487), drill rig oversight, geotechnical soils/rock testing is considered an asset.
- Experience using an IPI SWiPS Hydraulic packer, Mt.Sopris winch, or any geotechnical piezometers/dataloggers is an asset.
- Previous experience working with drill rigs and helicopters is an asset.
- Strong computer skills, with experience in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
- Experience working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to liaise with contractors and all persons on site in a respectful and professional manner.
- Ability to safely and comfortably lift 25 kg samples.
- A results-focused attitude and strong time management skills.
- Valid Class 5 Driver's license.
- Ability to work 12-hour shifts at a helicopter-supported drilling location, including nightshift.
Pay Range (Annual Salary): $65,000 - $80,000 HOW TO APPLY
At Galore Creek, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Galore Creek respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Learn more about Galore Creek at www.gcmc.ca
#LI-DF1 Job Segment:
Geology, Recent Graduate, Civil Engineer, Facilities, Technician, Engineering, Entry Level, Operations, Technology
Apply now »