Job Description Summary
The Accountant is responsible for a variety of activities pertaining to STEMCELL's accounting cycles, including assisting with periodic financial statements and reports, as well as performing month-end and year-end procedures. This role supports the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensures that the reported results comply with local regulatory accounting principles and local statutory requirements where STEMCELL does business.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities:
Skills & Qualifications
- Key player in full-cycle monthly accounting close process, accountable for tasks such as, not limited to, bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses review and amortization and fixed asset depreciation.
- Assist with internal and external monthly and year-end consolidated financial statements by preparing working papers (e.g. reconciliations, G/L account analysis, and standard month-end journal entries) of STEMCELL Group of Companies (SGC), adhering to the company's close processes and procedures.
- Provide input as needed with monthly and/or quarterly budgets.
- Work on monthly, quarterly, year-end tax filings, tax incentive claims and other claims for the jurisdiction(s) of where STEMCELL operates.
- Spot errors and gaps in local processes; suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending and report out to manager.
- Assist in reviewing and recommending modifications to local accounting systems and procedures.
- Ensure compliance is met for internal and external audits based on local taxation regulations, accounting and financial principles, and company standards.
- Assist with developing and documenting local business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Liaise with local and global Financial Analysts and Accounting Managers to improve financial procedures.
- Other duties and projects as required by the business.
- Bachelor's degree in Commerce, Business Administration or a related field.
- Minimum 3 to 5+ years of relevant experience including previous accounting experience.
- Professional designation or near completion.
- Business and financial acumen and a willingness to have an impact on the business beyond the disciplines of corporate services and finance.
- Working knowledge of local tax incentive programs is preferred and other tax incentive programs a distinct asset.
- Structured, disciplined and organized; a systems thinker with demonstrated process improvement skills and knowledge of accounting best practices and standards.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written, oral, presentation); communicates in a clear, concise and organized manner; listens to others to obtain information.
- Proven experience building strong relationships with senior management, external providers, business partners etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage own time, activities and resources to ensure department standards are met on a consistent basis.
- Prior experience in public accounting firms an asset.
- Advanced level computer skills, including hands-on experience with an accounting software package and an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience in a multi-divisional, multi-currency environment.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Banking, Finance and Insurance