Established in 1971 and headquartered in Langley, British Columbia, Primex Manufacturing Ltd. (Primex) is a molder of plastic injection products. From its roots as a small custom injection molder and through the combination of Primex’s predecessor companies, Vanguard Plastics, Premo Plastics and VPL Enterprises Ltd., Primex has developed broad capabilities in the design, engineering and mold fabrication of a number of proprietary, patented in-house plastic products.
Primex is searching for a FIBRE TECHNICIAN to join our team!
Objective: To participate as an active member of Primex Telecom design team to execute tasks and goals as assigned by the Director of Engineering in close coordination with the Engineering, Marketing and Sales Teams.
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Scope: To work in close collaboration with other engineering staff and Product Management, as well as marketing, sales, customers and prospective clients to design and build telecommunication enclosures and network solutions, mainly for FTTx applications. The Fiber Optics Technician will strategically source specified components and follow through to completion all relevant certification processes and requirements for the Telecom marketplace.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and assist in the procurement of all required component parts for FTTx products. Research and describe application scenarios for fibre and copper OSP and MDE solutions.
- Analyze and evaluate customer design proposals, specifications and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Assess customer network specifications and RFQs and assist in procuring specified components and work toward value engineering part substitutions where possible to increase value.
- Provide documentation, detailed instructions, drawings, or specifications to illustrate how devices, parts, equipment, or structures are to be fabricated, constructed, assembled, modified, maintained, or used.
- Investigate product failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations.
- Follow the Primex design procedure and assist in its maintenance and improvement.
- Design of enclosure assemblies from components, assemble prototypes and test fiber to the home enclosure products.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems.
- Install sample assemblies and enclosures for testing and showcasing in Primex display rooms.
- Direct multi-year experience in the telecommunications, fiber optics or cable television market space.
- Solid understanding of the telecommunications market and specifically the role of fiber optics in relation to FTTx market.
- Thorough understanding of role and evolution of both active Ethernet and PON networking systems as well as working familiarity with RFoG systems and new triple play technology developments.
- Working knowledge of safety requirements from regulatory bodies such as UL, CSA and Telcordia.
- Support marketing, sales and customers to assist in the development of product solutions and systems within the changing communications marketplace.
- Analyze Primex Telecom products against competitors’ models and assist marketing with developing differentiating product positioning strategies.
- Promoting Primex through membership and participation in community and professional associations.
- Provide technical customer service in coordination with sales as required.
- Occasional travel within Canada or the United States.
- Continuously update knowledge and skills fro successful job performance
- Participate in training programs
- Seek additional educational courses
- Ability to perform Fiber Splicing (Mechanical & Fusion), Testing (OTDR and OTLS) and Troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and develop plans and strategies to clearly communicate complex business issues and technological solutions.
- Fluent communication skills in English both written and oral.
- Ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams and various geographical locations.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent in-field experience.
- Knowledge of Solid Works, Mechanical Design and 3D Modelling software is an asset.
- FOA or equivalent certification.
A little About Us:
Primex Manufacturing is a plastic injection-molding company that specializes in the manufacture and distribution of telecommunication and building products. Primex specializes in developing, producing and distributing flexible enclosure solutions for the cable and telecom industries. We offer turn-key and OEM solutions for CATV, Copper and Fiber termination boxes in a series of off-the-shelf products as well as ready-to-install customized enclosures. At Primex, we make everything fit – so you don’t have to.