January 27, 2023
Teck is looking for an experienced Environmental Engineer or Specialist to join our team at our Trail Operations, one of the world's largest fully integrated zinc and lead smelting and refining complexes.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Environmental Management, the Environmental Engineer or Environment Specialist participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of environmental strategies, policies and programs, examines operational activities to establish where improvements can be made, and ensures compliance with environmental legislation.
Portfolio rotations are in place for this role and incumbents are required to focus on various aspects of the Accountabilities based on assigned portfolio.
This role is in the welcoming community of Trail, situated in the beautiful West Kootenay region of southeastern British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips! Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone.
This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Fridays off and comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package. Come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensures regulatory compliance with provincial, federal and international environmental legislation including permits, carrying out audits and assessments, identifying and resolving environmental problems and reporting on performance to internal and external stakeholders and regulators
- Administers environmental policy, plans and actions based on external standards (e.g. ISO 14001)
- Supports plant managers in environmental protection analysis and the assessment of plant specific procedures and control measures
- Supports compliance audits and provides on-site support to corporate and external auditors
- Assists with reviews and updates for the Environmental Management System (EMS) reports and control documents in relation to changing regulations, equipment, processes or procedures
- Establishes procedures for assigned facilities, including monitoring facilities, maintains related preventive maintenance orders, lead contingency plan testing, and oversees the work of in-house or contracted maintenance staff
- Provides environment related support to Trail Operations projects including carrying out impact assessments to identify, assess and reduce environmental risks and financial costs
- Assists in mentoring assigned technical staff or trades in the day-to-day performance of their work including coordinates assignments, monitors workloads and backlogs and ensuring they have the necessary tools and equipment
- Responds to employee and public feedback related to environmental concerns, conducts investigations, recommends plan of action and follows up with caller
- Participates in rotating on-call schedule
- Perform other related duties as required
- B.Sc. in Environmental Engineering or relevant degree in applied science (Chemistry) or equivalent experience is required
- Applicants need to be eligible for registration or registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C. ("EGBC") as this will be a condition of employment. Teck will support eligible employees with their EGBC registration
- Experience in industrial or environmental sampling is required
- Strong analytical and technical skills, and advanced computer skills required to support data analysis and satisfy reporting requirements are required
- Ability to interact with public and regulators in the performance of duties is required
- Demonstrated ability to independently develop and execute work plans in accordance with the department's objectives and schedule, combined with an ability to weigh and prioritize competing issues with multiple constraints
- Knowledge and experience with Environmental Management Systems such as ISO 14001 is desirable
- Understanding of the integrated nature of metallurgical processes through a variety of operational experiences at Trail would be a strong asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Environmental Engineering, Coal Mining, Sustainability, Compliance, Engineering, Mining, Energy, Legal