Position: Engineering Team Lead, Compression
Location: Burnaby/Richmond, BC, Canada
General Fusion is transforming how the world is energized by developing the first commercially-viable fusion power plant. Fusion will deliver clean, safe and on-demand power at industrial scale, providing a powerful complement to renewables and a pathway to a zero-emission grid.
Combining new technologies, proven industrial processes, and advances in fundamental fusion science, General Fusion aims to be the first in the world to develop commercial fusion power. Key performance requirements have been demonstrated at the system level, setting the stage for building a pre-commercial fusion power prototype.
As a member of the Compression Engineering team, the Engineering Team Lead will work as a collaborative part of a diverse engineering team, in the development of General Fusion’s Fusion Demonstration Plant. The role involves the management of a team of engineers (up to 6-7 people), and reports to the Manager of Compression Engineering. The primary function of this role is to manage the responsibilities and outputs of the sub-team (within a larger group), while maintaining an active and hands on role in the engineering field.
- Manages a team of 6-7 engineers, prioritizes and assigns tasks appropriately, oversees project logistics and resource allocation.
- Participates in hiring and training qualified engineering staff, as required.
- Assists in creating project schedules and budgets, and works with team members to ensure they are met.
- Acts as a mentor to junior engineers, supporting them through the design process to ensure successful completion of projects and development of staff.
- Acts as a facilitator to support senior engineers by providing clear project management and direction.
- Participates actively in the design of projects from a technical/engineering standpoint, including completing engineering design tasks as needed.
- Collaborates across multiple teams, and communicates effectively to ensure the team efforts remain aligned with the top priorities and evolving requirements.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years’ experience in mechanical design (other disciplines may be considered, but this is a highly mechanical role).
- 3+ years’ experience managing a group of engineers on highly integrated, multi-disciplined projects with a high degree of complexity.
- Excellent rapport with colleagues and a history of positive team dynamics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present information to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent organization and time management.
- Comfortable working to aggressive deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt, and shift priorities in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Proven track record demonstrating ownership and accountability, strong judgment and decision-making skills, and the ability to influence and inspire a team with a passion for the role.
- Genuine passion for mechanical design, solving problems, building projects, and making things work.
- Experience designing components for use in harsh and demanding environments, and for problems where there is little prior art or precedent to draw from.
- Strong understanding of materials and fabrication methods, as well as knowledge of GD&T and the implications of tolerancing on parts and assemblies.
- Experience in the design of high pressure components and systems.
- Experience in the design of high vacuum components and systems.
- Experience with liquid metals.
The work involved in this project requires a strong mechanical aptitude, flexibility, and a passion for solving complex problems. General Fusion seeks individuals who are self-motivated, have good communication skills and are comfortable with creative problem solving independently and within a group.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
What We Offer:
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please include your CV, as well as Cover Letter explaining why you are the perfect fit for this role!!
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.