About the Opportunity
Our Abbotsford office is looking to add a capable and hardworking Engineer-in-Training (EIT) to our team. Are you keen to benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and inspiring projects that make a visible difference in many communities? If you like solving problems, enjoy working with diverse teams and are driven by our purpose to serve vibrant communities, let's connect! In addition to the learning and project experience, you can:
- Hone your civil engineering skills, apply theory, and provide workable solutions for infrastructure design and planning, including roadways, water, sanitary, and drainage
- Build and grow relationships with existing project leaders and clients; proactively and professionally communicate with contractors, co-workers, and clients
- Explore creative and sustainable solutions together with project leaders and our clients to build vibrant communities
- Establish relationships with communities and act as the clients' representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct inspections, and ensure that designs are built to specifications
- Provide accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and presentations
- Prepare and work collaboratively with our design teams to develop design drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents.
- Conduct construction inspections and support in contract administration
This opportunity is well suited to graduates from a Civil or Environmental Engineering degree program who will be eligible to obtain professional designation with EGBC as an EIT. Recent graduates or those with related experience will be considered. Candidates who are in the process of applying for their professional designation (P.Eng.) or have recently obtained it are also encouraged to apply.
In addition, the following attributes would be considered a benefit to this role:
- You take the initiative, are a problem solver and continually deliver consistent, high-quality work
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with clients and partners to provide innovative and "out of the box" solutions
- You practice proactive communication, listen to others and enjoy collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
- You are available to travel throughout Lower Mainland and British Columbia for project work, including visiting communities
- You are committed to ongoing personal and professional development
- Experience using AutoCAD or Civil 3D for design drafting of linear infrastructure
- Experience and understanding of GIS and asset management
- A valid class 5 drivers’ license
We are an employee-owned inter-disciplinary community consulting firm with deep Canadian roots. We are united in our mission to transform communities everywhere into vibrant places where people want to live today, tomorrow, and forever.
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to nearly 600 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector.
Our Commitment To You
Are you just getting started in your career? You're in the right place! Here’s what you can expect as a part of the Urban Systems team:
- Learn and Grow - Grow your career with Urban Systems! You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
- Work with Inter-Disciplinary Teams - Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, inter-disciplinary teams to deliver important work.
- You're in Good Company - Build relationships with a dynamic, accountable, and engaged team fueled by our shared purpose. Every branch facilitates connection with a series of social and team building events, as well as across offices with your peers.
- Competitive Compensation - Your skills and contributions are valued. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage and more.
- Paid Time Off - We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. In addition to statutory days off throughout the year, enjoy three (3) weeks of paid vacation to start, with milestone increases as you progress through your career at Urban Systems.
- Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your goals for retirement, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program to aid in your financial success by matching your contributions to an RRSP or TFSA.
- Flexible Hours & Work Environment - You have a life outside of work! We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Beautiful Office - Do your best work in office spaces designed with your needs in mind. Each of our 15 offices has its own unique personality and design.
- Create Lasting Community Impact - You’ll have a multitude of opportunities and exposure to work on diverse and challenging projects that will create lasting impact on communities for generations to come. 98% of Urban Systems employees believe that the work we do is important. Join a team of like-minded leaders and work together to bring to life impactful community projects.
How To Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity among our teams lead to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, at 9:00 AM (PDT)