Electronics Engineer/Designer: Harvey 2522
Our company is a leading Canadian manufacturer of pneumatic, battery powered, and electronic pistol grip torque wrenches.
Marketed, our products have proven to be successful all over the world in such industries as oil & gas, petrochemical, mining, aerospace, power generation and manufacturing.
Our company employs over 135 employees who are committed to achieving the highest level of innovation, quality, and performance.
We don’t just manufacture great tools; We ensure quality from conception through to production, and even years after initial use.
Our extensive in-house machining facilities ensure maximum flexibility and responsiveness, enabling quick deliveries and customer satisfaction.
The Electronics Engineer / Designer will have the opportunity to work as part of a multidisciplinary team that is reshaping how we design and create innovative solutions to deliver our quality products to the end user.
You work effectively in a fast-paced, agile environment where priorities can change quickly.
You need to be comfortable working in a very complex technical environment where you’ll have to dig deep and go beyond the surface-level solution to find the right solution.
Responsible for the design and delivery of high quality, cost-effective products, the Electronics Engineer/Designer develops innovative solutions to meet the requirements and customer needs.
- Development of initial concepts
- Electrical hardware and related components
- Test plans and procedures, evaluating performance
- Incorporating all regulatory requirements while keeping scalability and future proofing in mind
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for electronic power/control circuit design and component selection for cost effective and reliable products to meet defined environmental and customer/internal requirements.
- Creates/maintains/verifies BoMs, component specifications, schematics, wiring diagrams, PCB layout, and component libraries.
- Uses CAD tools such as Altium to create, simulate, update, and verify designs and libraries.
- Assists in transferring the designs to Manufacturing (NPI).
- Sources and approves alternate/substitute components.
- Develops / initiates new and updated designs in alignment with the companies policies and requirements.
- Writes design specifications, project scopes/requirements, and test documents.
- Builds or defines engineering and production test equipment, including ATE (Automated Test Equipment)
- Builds, tests, and troubleshoots prototypes, including ALT (Accelerated Life Test)
- Writes and reviews test plans and test reports.
- Resolves safety and EMC approval issues for CE, CSA, FCC, etc.
- Performs feasibility studies, cost analyses, and simulations as required to assess the technical and economic viability of the concepts.
- Considers DFM (Design for Manufacturability) in all areas with a view to creating a volume production, high yield product while maintaining reliability.
- Creates tolerance stacks to determine the product can be assembled and will perform as intended when produced in production with all variations considered.
- Performs or considers FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis)
- Uses analysis and / or simulation to evaluate design options to meet performance, reliability and regulatory criteria.
- Works with multidisciplinary teams (Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Sales, Marketing, Production, QA, etc.) to innovate new products and resolve customer issues.
- Liaises and works collaboratively with external partners, suppliers, manufacturing and customers/representative to optimize the overall design and support / resolve design issues.
- Performs/Supports failure analysis of field returns and production failures.
- Creates new designs and supports existing designs and projects.
- Contributes to and follows the Product Development Process.
- Manages projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Electrical/Electronics Engineering, or equivalent.
- Eligible for or registered as a professional engineer in a relevant field is an asset.
- 3 years plus of relevant design experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Solid knowledge of engineering principles in power electronics, motor drives and controls, PCB layout, and EMC.
- Knowledge of Heat Transfer and Thermal Dynamics is an asset.
- Familiar with CAD tools and practices. Familiarity with Altium Designer, LTspice, Matlab, Simulink, PSIM, and SolidWorks is an asset.
- Familiar with mixed circuit design.
- Familiar with Mechanical, Firmware, and Software disciplines related to electronics design.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and microcontroller debuggers.
- Knowledge of electronics manufacturing processes and the associated requirements / constraints is a distinct advantage.
- Familiar with DFM (Design for Manufacturability) and DFT (Design for Test) requirements.
- Solid interpersonal skills are required to function appropriately in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think through concepts quickly in the initial concept stage.
- Fast learning, detail oriented, procedural in workflow, aptitude for accuracy
- Ability to prioritize issues, manage multiple tasks, and estimate/meet target completion dates
- Familiar with engineering documentation processes in a manufacturing environment such as PLM (Product Life Cycle), Change Management, and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
What We Offer:
- Competitive wages, comprehensive benefits including health and dental coverage, EAP, profit sharing bonuses, flex hours.
- A fun innovative culture with a high-quality product we are all proud of.
- Our office is in the heart of the Fraser Valley, in Abbotsford, B.C. – Brand new location in Summer 2022.
- NWT is an equal opportunity employer welcomes applicants of all backgrounds.
This is a fulltime position
Salary is open depending on experience
Benefits package available after 3 months