The Systems Engineering Department has an opening for a Director of Systems Engineering
to provide functional leadership of fuel cell module / system design activities at Ballard, including the coaching/ training of engineers, and to manage key strategic initiatives to fulfill Ballard's objectives.
The Director of Systems Engineering
is an experienced leader of technical people with applied knowledge of Systems Engineering processes and techniques and experience developing complex high technology products for mid-volume production. Suitable candidates will have high energy, demonstrated strong team leadership skills, applied coaching skills, proven technical capability, demonstrated program execution capability, strong business acumen and outstanding communication skills. This individual will be responsible for leading ~100 technical leaders, engineers, and technicians supporting multiple projects being carried out in Burnaby and other global Ballard and customer locations. Key Responsibilities:
- Lead, recruit, develop, and enhance overall capability of medium size highly technical engineering teams in multiple locations.
- Apply and continuously improve rigorous Systems Engineering approach to requirements capture, design, development, and validation of complex electro-mechanical systems supporting hydrogen fuel cell products.
- Rigorously apply Ballard's TPPM and Product Development Process to achieve outstanding technical and commercial results for products and projects
- Develop and apply budgets covering people, equipment, materials, and travel for a large technical team in cooperation with other Engineering and Business functions.
- Interfacing with Ballard leaders, commercial team, customers, Project Managers, manufacturing, and operations to define project deliverables for products and projects.
- Continuously evaluate and improve overall team performance through allocation of people, organization structure, and relationships with other leaders and functions within Ballard
- Set personal and team goals and review progress against goals with the individual team members
- Develop and adhere to schedules with execution tracking, issue resolution and progress reporting at various organizational levels
- Manage resources and forecast resource variance impacts to future execution steps
- Provide an escalation path for issues on individual projects and make decisions on priority with consideration of risk and Ballard's broader business needs
- Create and reinforce a culture of inclusion, execution speed, quality and collaboration
- The ideal candidate will be results oriented and possess strong technical leadership skills, project management and communication skills, with extensive experience in a product development environment
- Demonstrated experience applying Systems Engineering principles in a development environment for complex products. Automotive experience is a strong plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in product development and management of teams
- Licensed Professional Engineer or equivalent is an asset
- Ability to grasp and apply and oversee DFMEA/PFMEA, Plan for Every Part, verification testing, validation testing, and APQP concepts to Ballard projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead large cross-functional teams to cooperate and execute complex projects with strict timelines
- Solid understanding of engineering, operations, and commercial team functions and benefits these teams bring to the project
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a willingness to interact frequently with individuals and groups, and a proven ability to communicate effectively with suppliers and customers
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellence | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.