On behalf of our client, Sipco Innovations (SIPCO), we are looking for a Director of Research and Development to join their team in Delta, BC.
SIPCO’s story began in 1974 when SIPCO started manufacturing and distributing quality industrial, automotive, and marine chemical products. By the early 90’s, a shift was noticed in consumer demand for natural and environmentally friendly products. Acknowledging the needs of the marketplace, SIPCO first acquired the exclusive manufacturing and marketing rights for a line of enzyme-based formulations. Since that time, SIPCO has proudly developed and manufactured a variety of natural and safe to use products for the medical, industrial, and agricultural marketplace.
The Director of R&D will be responsible for initiating, directing, and executing scientific research and development that is critical to corporate strategies and image. To improve upon and develop new products for our current product line and leads in the development of patentable technology.
KEY LEADERSHIP ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Accountability 1: Corporate
- Consistently embodies and models the adherence to the corporate values of the organization;
- Works effectively and relates well with others exhibiting a professional manner while striving to maintain constructive working relationships;
- Protects and maintains strict confidentiality of the company, its products, formulations and processes along with the personal information of all staff members;
- Responsible for leading operational excellence and implementing streamlined processes and management methods to generate higher returns on investment and workflow optimization in alignment with the company’s strategic plan;
- Leads by example the company philosophy of team-inspired leadership by including team members within the organization in creative solutions and valuing the work of team member’s overall to achieve company goals;
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills including outstanding communication, excellent decision-making skills, superior leadership of team members and more;
- With the leadership team assists the President & CEO in the development and formulation of long and short-range sustainable growth plans, policies, programs and objectives;
- Achieves optimum employee levels with the least amount of overhead to meet annual budgetary plans;
- Leads the R&D team to high performance through coaching, weekly one-on-one meetings, development opportunities and periodical performance evaluations;
- Recruits, supervises, trains, develops and evaluates direct reports;
- Promotes development opportunities in line with Corporate Values;
- As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director of R&D is accountable for the effectiveness of the Quality Management System;
Accountability 2: Research and development
- Provides theoretical, experimental and applied research into agricultural product development processes;
- Responsible for product development;
- Leads the R&D team to design, prepare, test and evaluate product formulations for new product development and product improvements;
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways;
- Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement;
- Ensures all product development projects utilizes scientific disciplines;
- Partners with the appropriate third parties to conduct field trials;
- Manages the SRED process annually and reports all findings to the President & CEO;
- Tracks and reports all costs associated with the development of new products as per budgetary requirements;
- Leads product regulatory committee to manage the successful registration of new and existing products while being compliant with the regulatory requirements with the approval of the President & CEO;
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses;
- Responsible for the functional area within process development (i.e. designing and scaling-up production processes from laboratory scale through pilot plant scale, and transferring production process to the manufacturing department);
- Plans and implements the development of new process formulas, assist the Operations Department with sourcing instruments and manufacturing equipment;
- Researches and sources ingredients for R&D purposes, processes and safe handling;
- Ensures that all projects require familiarity with current scientific literature together with capability to select methods and techniques for obtaining solutions within broadly defined practices and procedures;
- Liaises and partners with the Director of Sales & Marketing to ensure customer and sales objectives are met;
- Understand current CFIA/FDA labelling regulations. Notify management of any changes or issues;
- Works with government bodies such as CFIA;
- Provides product expertise;
- Provides technical support of our products to the sales and marketing team and customers;
- Participates in sales and marketing activities such as attending trade shows and publishing scientific documents to support the sales and marketing of our products;
- Performs miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required;
Accountability 3: quality control
- Partners and coordinates with the Director of Operations along with the Quality Assurance Manager to ensure the products conform to establish company quality standards;
- Issues, maintains and updates product formulas;
- Sets up quality control parameters for new products and liaises with the Quality Assurance Manager to ensure that all applicable quality standards are met;
Accountability 4: Continuous improvement & Teamwork
- Recommends and administers policies and procedures to enhance operations;
- Participates in weekly and monthly departments meetings and provides progress reports;
- Prepares and provides daily, monthly and annual reports upon request;
- Participates as a team player focused on the success and well-being of the company;
- Participates in and conducts cross training activities as required;
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
The Director of R&D is a critical position SIPCO's growth and transformation and requires strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills and the ability to drive innovation and product development in alignment with the company’s strategic plan and vision.
The ideal candidate will bring proven experience in strategic R&D planning, development, and execution, along with a solid scientific research background and a track record as a leader in their industry. This will be supported by a master’s degree in one or more of the following; bioengineering, chemistry, horticulture, Argo chemistry, or agronomy coupled with a minimum of 10 years experience in the field of agriculture, lawn & garden or horticulture at the management level. A solid understanding of the consumer packaging goods industry would be an asset.
The Director will have demonstrated experience creating the conditions to develop, unify and integrate cultures that support innovation, accountability and can lead cross functional teams for both short- and long-term projects. This individual will be looked upon to demonstrate initiative, follow-through, and problem-solving ability while having a strong analytical and data driven mindset.
If you feel you have demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume to email@example.com or apply from BC Jobs!
We thank all interested applicants, however; only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Science Management and Executive