Are you passionate about growing a team and building a strong design culture? Can you take a vision, empower your team, and turn it into something incredible? Do you have a wide range of robust UX/UI designs and digital experiences under your belt? Can you turn data-driven ideas into a delightful journey for our users? Do you stay curious and push yourself and others to continue to learn and grow? If yes, read on!
As our Director of Product Design, you will be the voice of design at Thinkific. You’ll collaborate and partner across departments to deliver exceptional work. You’ll work closely with our team of product designers, product managers, marketers, and developers to identify and validate what problems are most important to solve for our customers and therefore, the business. You’ll inspire, mentor, lead, and grow the product design team and evolve our practices within UX, Design, and Research.
In this role, you will:
- Lead, inspire, mentor, and grow a team of product designers, distilling complex problems and proposing solutions that adhere to UX best practices
- Contribute to the overall company strategy and advocate for the product design team’s role
- Contribute to all aspects of product development from ideation to post-launch evaluation
- Establish product design principles, processes, and standards to ensure we're building a best-in-class product
- Collaborate with other department leads
- Advocate for a design-oriented atmosphere within the organization
- Foster an environment that balances high performance with happiness and health
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 7+ years of product design experience, ideally with 3+ years in a leadership role
- Demonstrate a passion for mentoring and growing a design team
- Be customer-obsessed with a proven history of making data-driven decisions to prioritize and ship products successfully in a high-paced environment
- Have experience spearheading initiatives focused on design research and best practices
- Have a strong body of work that demonstrates skills, craft, thinking, and expertise
- Be willing to jump into the trenches to support the team (this will include a level of design production work)
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Have experience with design processes at scale
- Have experience maturing a design system in practice
- Have experience building design culture within a design team
- Are able to cultivate the unique skill sets of each member of a design team
- Consider yourself a strong networker who is active in the tech and design community
- Demonstrate a drive to work hands-on with the design team, not just give direction
Bonus points if you:
- Have worked in a variety of different team sizes
- Have a working knowledge of front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Have prior experience in the education industry
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses. Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe, while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Our customer support is the best in the industry and one of the main reasons educators love using Thinkific!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a collaborative, driven team focused on building best-in-class software for one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver
- We offer competitive salaries, health/dental/vision benefits, and our Employee and Family Assistance Program helps to support your well-being
- We have an open vacation policy and flexible work environment… because sometimes you do your best work in slippers ;)
- Our office is stocked with snacks, coffee, and the occasional Friday beer and cider to keep you fuelled
- We're dog-friendly and have many furry friends sitting nearby, ready to be cuddled
- We get together often for fun company events (we’ve flown to California, hosted family BBQs, conquered The Chief, gone rock climbing and put our heads together to tackle creative challenges at our Hackathons)
- We have an amazing existing team of talented developers, marketers, designers, customer champions, and other tech industry pros that want to work with you
- Everyone has an equal opportunity to impact our product and company—we strongly value all of our people (the ones we work alongside and the ones we serve)
- We are passionate about education—we provide learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow through workshops, training, blogs, meetups, books and mentorships
- We provide a technology bonus for when you need to upgrade or replace your existing system
- We care about helping you grow your career AND your family. Family is important to us, and our paid parental leave provides you with a little extra help while you’re beginning this new adventure.
- We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity. We welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!