On behalf of our client, UVic Properties, we are currently searching for a Director of Facilities to join their growing team.
UVic Properties is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of Victoria. The company manages UVic’s portfolio of non-academic real estate on Vancouver Island to provide financial returns that support the University’s academic mission. The 135 commercial and 45 residential properties include important landmarks in Victoria’s social and business community such as the Vancouver Island Technology Park, the Marine Technology Centre, the Queenswood Oceans and Climate Campus, the Legacy Art Gallery and Swans Brewery, Pub & Hotel.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Facilities provides both strategic direction and hands on support to a small but entrepreneurial team. This position will oversee planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of UVic Properties’ portfolio’s physical facilities and grounds. The ideal candidate will be instrumental in contributing to the growth of the organization, while building solid and trusting relationships by demonstrating a level of confidence and problem-solving abilities. They will identify areas of opportunity and growth, while handling the day to day aspects of existing projects.
UVic Properties will rely on this individual to be analytical, and technical, while combining both planning and management skills, with an ability to adapt to ever-changing conditions. This individual will be a collaborative team player with a strong attention to detail and hands-on support, to balance the strategic and tactical elements towards best-in-class processes.
Provide for the reliable operation of the portfolio’s facilities and grounds
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the facilities to ensure custodial, maintenance, security and other services are completed in a manner that fosters high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Provide purchasing and contract support for facilities and grounds services. Negotiate contracts and evaluate the vendor/ contractor in regard to the agreement’s specifications.
- Understand the condition of all properties, develop comprehensive schedules for preventative maintenance and allocate resources ensure that facilities are structurally sound, operationally efficient, well-maintained, and safe
- Participate in the continuous development of UVic Properties’ emergency planning and oversee emergency response protocols. The Director of Facilities can expect to be ‘on call’ at all times to address emergency situations.
Financial and resource management
- Review, monitor and ensure adherence to annual operating budget
- Ensure Capital Projects are managed, procedures are adhered to and the project remains within the approved budget.
- Lead management discussion and make decisions regarding the allocation of funding to address new priorities and pressures on current resources.
- Provide leadership in preparing the annual operating budget and monitor budgets for areas of responsibility to ensure compliance and spending diligence. Comply with the purchasing policy in the acquisition of goods and services.
- Implement new initiatives to reduce expenditures.
Provide leadership to Facilities Department
- Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a long-term minor and major Capital Plan.
- Recruit staff with the skills, competencies and commitment to achieve UVic Properties’ mission in collaboration with their peers.
- Manage, plan, schedule, train and direct the activities of the Facilities, Security, and Custodial departments consisting of approximately 15 full-time and part-time employees.
- Set performance plans and strategic plan objectives in collaboration with UVic Properties’ Senior Management Team.
Project Manage Major and Minor Capital Construction / Renovation Projects/ Leasehold improvements
- Establish a process for the orderly delivery of major and minor capital construction projects by ensuring their proper planning, design, construction and contract administration.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, policies and best practices to ensure procurement and contracting procedures align with industry standard practices and procedures.
- Prioritize projects based on strategic need and in consultation with the President & CEO and Development Advisors.
- Manage activities undertaken by outside consultants, architects, engineers, contractors and agencies to ensure delivery of full scope of services and evaluate performance.
Skills & Qualifications:
Required advanced experience in/knowledge of:
- Technical knowledge relevant to new commercial construction and renovation projects.
- Project management methodologies and best practices, and related policies, guidelines and tools.
- Schedule management, cost and forecasting experience, and risk management in small and large project deliveries within the ICI sector.
- Building estimate practices, including conceptual estimates where plans are not tender-ready.
- Public and private sector procurement process, standards and policies e.g. Familiarity with BC Bid.
- Industry standard construction contracts and consulting agreements e.g. CM At-Risk & CMAR, stipulated sum & cost-plus deals (CCA or CCDC-2).
- Custom prime contact experience and experience working with consultants as would be found in design building models an asset.
- Managing site assessments and environmental considerations. High performance building systems and design, BC Energy Step Code requirements and processes, and other sustainable and green building practices.
- Legal aspects of construction and contract law, complex procurement and contract management processes for architectural, engineering or construction related services.
Required skills Include:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to develop positive relationships with colleagues, customers, service providers and embrace UVic Properties’ customer-centric culture.
- Ability to review, investigate, analyze multi-faceted problems and innovate positive solutions that resolve a variety of complex customer, project and technical issue within a diverse project team.
- Ability to multi-task, working with variable needs and associated timelines in an efficient, effective and flexible manner.
- Exceptional facilitation, negotiation, conflict and dispute resolution, and stakeholder relation skills.
- Ability to critique consultants’ design, construction documents, specifications and construction contract and tender documents.
This role will appeal to a hands-on and dynamic leader who is looking to join an excited and passionate group of professionals looking to build on and grow the organization! If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume to email@example.com
Construction, Mining and Trades Management and Executive