Development Lead, Big Data (Java)
Job ID GRDV416 Job Location CA-BC-Vancouver Job Type Permanent Full-Time
Global Relay is the leading provider of cloud-based archiving, supervision, eDiscovery, and analytics for the global financial sector. We deliver services to 23,000 customers in 90 countries, including 22 of the top 25 global banks. Our market-leading archiving service supports email, instant messaging, Bloomberg®, Thomson Reuters, social media, mobile messaging, and more - with mobile, Outlook, and web access.
Our Global Operations & Development Center is located in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In addition, we have offices in six other cities across the world, including major financial centers like New York, Chicago, and London.
Over the years, we have won several major awards, including:
- Company of the Year from the BC Tech Association (2016)
- Canada's 50 Best Small and Medium Employers (2014, 2015)
- Canada's Top Employers for Young People (2014)
- Canada's Top 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2013, 2016)
- Canada's Best Managed Companies (2013 - present)
- Technology Fast 50 Leadership (2014, 2018)
We provide fantastic opportunities to individuals passionate about business and technology. For those with international business aspirations, we offer invaluable opportunities for doing business with some of the world's largest, most influential firms. Our company is also perfect for those who want to create cool technology using massively scalable, big-data architecture, with a strong focus on mobile.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com .
The Development Lead oversees development resources in a small, highly focused team, responsible for delivering components in systems utilizing Big Data technology. They ensure that environments are properly managed and monitored in their areas of responsibility, including production systems. They champion the introduction of new technologies, methodologies, development styles and processes to increase overall efficiency. They work with Architects to make sure that technologies chosen by teams are properly evaluated and vetted. The Development Lead contributes to, and participates in, corporate-wide peer learning. Role Responsibilities:
Technical Skills Requirements:
- Lead an agile development team to design, implement, deploy and maintain large scale systems
- People management for 1 to 3 developers, including performance management and career development
- Initiate and produce design artifacts and spikes
- Own APIs utilized by components managed by other teams
- Oversee the implementation of a build, deployment and monitoring pipeline
- Own the strategy and implementation of performance testing
- Help improve the team through code reviews, documentation, coaching and technical guidance
- Identify and propose strategies around technical problems affecting the team
- Provide feedback on:
- System architecture relating to features being worked on
- Feature requirements in collaboration with the Product Manager
- Defect reports, test plans, and test automation strategy/priorities in collaboration with the Test Lead
- 8+ years of Java development experience, building multi-threaded applications and services in an agile environment
- 3+ years of people management and leadership experience, overseeing 1 to 3 Developers
- Experience utilizing Big Data technologies, such as Hadoop, Kafka, and Cassandra, to build applications that contain petabytes of data and process millions of transactions per day
- API development experience in service and resource-oriented architectures
- Experience with web services technology such as REST, JSON, or Thrift
- Understanding of network protocols such as HTTP, TLS, TCP
- Passion for Test Driven Development
- Experience with any of the following is an asset:
- Cloud computing, virtualization and containerization
- Continuous integration systems
- Deployment technology such as Ansible
Think you're a great fit for this job? Apply today with your cover letter and resume in one PDF document
. No phone calls please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.