Want to use your expertise to connect to an IT career with a difference? As an intermediate database administrator II within WorkSafeBC, you'll do just that. Using leading-edge technology, you'll help connect British Columbians to healthy and safe workplaces - providing support for injury prevention programs, rehabilitation services, workplace insurance, and strong health and safety cultures.
Are you a skilled DBA with the ability to implement and manage DB2, SQL, and other databases? You'll assist the manager of Database Services to ensure the integrity of databases, lead and coordinate the work of project teams, and resolve complex technical database problems encountered by DBAs and developers.
Your role will be instrumental on a team that ensures data is available and secure for users across our organization - presenting the opportunity to advance your skills with exposure to supporting various mission applications like our Claims Management System and involvement in performance tuning of our mission critical applications.
We have 3 full-time permanent vacancies and will be remotely based during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note that after the pandemic, the positions will be based in the Richmond office. What you'll do As a database administrator II you will:
Is this a good fit for you? We're looking for someone who can:
- Collaborate with other team members on creation, maintenance, configuration and support of database instances.
- Collaborate with software developers in order to set up the monitoring of production databases including availability, performance, deadlocks, as well as looking at real-time and historical performance.
- Respond to database system monitoring alerts and exceptions and provide database system problem recovery and resolution
- Manage database instance performance tuning and implementation of database system software tuning improvements
- Collaborate with software developers to perform application database performance tuning such as application query tuning, index creation, optimizer hints, and table and data model modifications
- Collaborate with the security team on developing database security standards and practices by developing scripts that will perform security health checks for review by security and the manager of database services
- Create, implement, and execute database cloning procedures to support application requirements and development and testing cycles
- Develop, plan and execute tasks in collaboration with other team members and service providers in the refresh and masking of nonproduction systems including provide problem resolution to support iterative application development and cycles
- Participate in the Disaster Recovery plan, documentation and execution
- Perform or provide support on the different database restore processes required for a point in time recovery
- Support, maintain and develop new ETL/replication processes
- Perform data corrections and manipulation processes and collaborate with software developers on the process to ensure audit requirements are met
- Provide direction to teams for their requirements on the development of data models, logical application database designs to finalize and implement the physical application database designs
- Define and implement application schema access and security policies, and approved accesses to enterprise data
- Create and implement application database objects, conversion of database structures, and migration of database objects between application environments
- Identify and implement opportunities for improvement in the area of process, technology and people
- Develop scripts for all activities and automate where it provides value. Also provide guidance to other team members
Your experience and educational background:
- Anticipate, organize and prioritize work to meet both short- and long-term goals and outcomes
- Take initiative to advise, persuade and motivate others to act in a recommended way in an environment of minimal supervision
- Lead by example by taking initiative, assuming responsibility for issues and following through to appropriate resolution
- Clearly document and convey, both verbally and in writing, a variety of technical information to technical and non-technical persons
- Listen, clarify and comprehend information
- Maintain personal and team effectiveness by adapting and adjusting to changes and difficult situations
- Implement an appropriate solution using judgement and resourcefulness in sometimes difficult circumstances
- Promote agile principles to assist the evolution and maturity of Agile and DevOps at WorkSafeBC
- Participate in Agile ceremonies and perform work using the team's Kanban board
- Provide 24x7 on-call procedures and support on a rotational basis
- A degree in Computer Science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- A minimum of six years of experience working with Relational Database management systems including DB2 and/or SQL Server.
- IBM DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server certifications are an asset
- Experience in implementing and managing DB2, SQL Server, and other databases
- Experience in DBMS architecture
- Experience in:
- data modeling and database design
- multi-tiered application architectures
- system architecture (e.g., Linux, Unix, Windows)
- optimal methods of manipulating required data
- object oriented programming and script writing
- Knowledge of data replication techniques and processes, and cloud computing platforms (e.g., SaaS, IaaS or PaaS)
- Experience working in an Agile environment
We'll consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application. Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for. Our benefits
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work - and life. Learn more about what we offer .
You will be required to successfully meet WorkSafeBC's requirements with regards to a criminal record clearance.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.