Location: Vancouver preferred, the USA or Canada Remote
Status: Permanent Full-Time Position
Who we are
We believe everyone with cancer should have the same fighting chance to survive and thrive.
We work in a rapidly evolving field that attracts smart, talented people who are committed to
making a difference for cancer patients. But not everyone has access to those advances, which
are all too often limited to patients at elite medical institutions or those who know someone who
‘knows someone working in our field. People who join us are committed to bringing equity and
access to critical aspects of cancer care. We are a lean and driven team building on this vision
from the ground up. You’re a self-starter who can pitch in right away by deploying your own
expertise to make this shared vision a reality.
The Data Scientist is a part of our Computational Science team, which leads the bioinformatics
research and development program at Canexia Health. Reporting to the Manager of
Bioinformatics, you will develop software and methodologies to perform algorithmic and
statistical analyses on genomic sequencing data using leading-edge DNA sequencing
technologies and computational methods. Your work directly helps identify targeted treatments
and clinical trials that can benefit cancer patients. You work independently as well as together
with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists,
and laboratory personnel.
What you’ll do
● Organise and analyse large scale mutation data from tumor genome sequencing in a
● Work closely with the lab and software teams to maintain data integrity
● Perform analysis of mutations across patient cohorts for quality control and to identify
● Use standard tools and computational frameworks to visualize, browse, and statistically
analyse distributions of mutations and clinical covariates
● Prepare statistically motivated plots of mutation data for presentation
● Develop approaches to identify anomalous distributions that can be leveraged in quality
● Compile reports for partners and collaborators.
Who you are
● Education: You hold a Master’s degree in bioinformatics, data science, biostatistics, or
● Industry experience: 3+ years experience working in a clinical or research setting
related to cancer genomics applied to tumor tissue analysis and/or cell-free DNA/liquid
● Linux/UNIX: Experienced in working with command-line interfaces.
● Coding: Proficient with Python (desirable) or other statistical languages such as R.
● Databases: 1+ years experience in SQL databases, with experience aggregating data
within and across patient cohorts.
● NGS: Experienced handling NGS data including the quality control/quality assurance.
● Cancer genomics: Facility with cBioPortal interfaces and tools and relevant API-level
packages in R or Python to analyse and interpret somatic mutations in cancer.
● Tech-savvy: Experienced with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools,
alignment software (e.g. BWA or bowtie), and variant detection (e.g. GATK, samtools).
Added bonus if you have experience with GitHub and cloud-based computing such as
● Attention to detail: Uncompromisingly meticulous with the execution of analysis.
● Interpersonal skills: Excellent communication skills-- written, verbal and non-verbal.
You’re considerate and have the ability to develop cooperative relationships with your
● Organized: Have the ability to organize yourself and set priorities.
How to apply
More information on Canexia Health can be found at https://canexiahealth.com.
To apply for this position, email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with
job code: JD034 in the header.
We thank all applicants, however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
#47 - Cymax Group - Growing a Diverse Workforce