Would you like to work with one of the most complex employee systems in the world? Amazon Compensation Technology Team is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Data Engineer to join our growing organization. We are building new software products and large scale distributed systems which will manage the compensation experience for Amazon's rapidly growing workforce. We are empowered to think big at Amazon, and the Amazon Compensation Technology Team is doing just that. Where third-party products don't scale to meet our needs, we build our own products which provide the scalability and flexibility we need. We take full advantage of the amazing technology toolset we have. We directly shape the future growth of Amazon and the impact of our work can be seen all around us. Core to these programs is building data warehouse to have a robust analytical perspective, dive deep into telemetry , users behavior and performance data to drive insights and future comp modeling and offering strategy to deliver the best compensation experience.
Do you find re-defining and building new platforms from the ground up exciting? Do you like working with new technologies, finding new solutions to complex problems? Do you like working with all stages of product development from working with customers on business requirements to deploying and supporting your own data warehouse and analytical systems? We are looking for a strong Data Engineer who can take the lead in identifying and solving ambiguous problems. You will influence the team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to team priorities and approach through data analytics.
A day in the life
The Amazon Compensation Technology (ACT) team in Vancouver is looking for an experienced Data Engineer with strong analytical skills. As the Data Engineer, you will need to review technical design, develop and enhance data systems and pipelines supporting different compensation processes optimization in reporting, planning, analytics and even user experience, as well as, build data models to feed machine learning for smart compensation recommendations.
Finally yet importantly, you should have very good communication skills and ability to adjust communication to different groups of stakeholders, collaborating with architects, BI engineers, data scientists, business analysts, product managers, to evaluate business needs and objectives in order to set up the best data management environment. Overall, you will be the subject matter expert for the data structures and usage, while striving for efficiency by aligning data systems with business goals.
About the hiring group
ACT enables Amazon to realize the goal of compensation: attracting, motivating and retaining talent. We do this by providing the products and services necessary for calculating and managing every compensation change activity in the lifecycle of all global Amazon employees. We give all users a clear and consistent understanding of how compensation was calculated, how and when it can be adjusted, and the impacts of compensation adjustments. We provide the reporting, data, and insights that enables continuous evolution of compensation programs and policies.
• Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Informatics, Mathematics, or a related technical discipline
• 4+ years of industry experience in data engineering, data science, business intelligence or related field
Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
• Demonstrated strength in data modelling, ETL development, and data warehousing/lakes
Database design and administration experience with various RDBMS, such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.
• Advanced SQL and query performance tuning skills.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience building data products incrementally, integrating and managing large data sets from multiple sources
• 2+ year of coding experience with modern programming or scripting language (Python, Scala, Java, etc.).
• Familiarity with statistical models and data mining algorithms
• Familiarity with data modeling for machine learning
• Experience architecting data solutions with AWS products including Big Data Technologies (Redshift, RDS, S3, Glue, Athena, EMR, Spark, Hive, etc.).
Software and Programming