Contribute your valued expertise in strategy, design and service delivery to this fast-paced opportunity
Title: Data Analysis and Knowledge Mobilization Officer
Ministry: Agriculture and Food
Supervisor title: Chief Veterinary Officer
Salary Range: $80,652.20 - $91,992.70 annually JOB OVERVIEW
The Data Analysis and Knowledge Mobilization Officer is the expert for a ministry, sector or enterprise for large scale, complex projects. Enterprise or ministry-wide programs/and or projects which are significant in terms of government priorities and have unique requirements. This position applies expert advice and knowledge pertaining to all overarching data science to unique business scenarios. ACCOUNTABILITIES Required:
• Oversees the Ministry or Enterprise approach to modeling complex business problems, conducting large scale experimentation, discovering business insights, and identifying opportunities using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques, including automated, reproducible and scalable data workflows.
• Leads in stakeholder consultations for defining program policies or priorities, identifying stakeholder preferences and reconciling conflicts.
• Manages data science projects, including defining scope, objectives, data requirements and methodologies and works with partners and stakeholders to achieve project objectives, including influencing strategic and operational decisions.
• Leads the development and promotion of working relationships with internal and external partners, stakeholders and government agencies to achieve program or project objectives.
• Oversees data science ethics frameworks and best practices based on standards from across government, industry, and academia.
• Represents the ministry and/or enterprise at intra and inter-ministry, intergovernmental, industry committees, conferences or other working groups.
• Provides technical supervision to Data Analysts and Senior Data Analysts pertaining to scientific approach, evaluation, and assessment processes.
• Supervises staff, conducts performance appraisals, provides performance feedback and provides employee development guidance/opportunities. JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Graduate training to a Master or PhD level in bioinformatics/biostatistics, epidemiology, data science, computer science, GIS, statistics, mathematics, or other relevant specialty field as designated by program requirement, and one (1) year related experience; OR
• Bachelor's Degree in bioinformatics/biostatistics, epidemiology, data science, computer science, GIS, statistics, mathematics, or other relevant specialty field as designated by program requirement, and three (3) years related experience; OR
• Diploma in data science, computer science, GIS, statistics, mathematics, or other relevant specialty field as designated by program requirements, and four (4) years related experience; OR
• Certification from a recognized institution in a related field and five years of related experience; OR
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Related experience must include a minimum of two (2) of the following:
• Experience at leveraging structured and unstructured data sources to conduct quantitative analysis.
• Experience determining appropriate use of various problem structuring methods and statistical methods for sampling, distribution assessment, bias, and error.
• Experience and familiarity with machine learning, clustering, and classification techniques to analyze diverse sources of data.
• Experience creating and delivering executive-level presentations for the purpose of decision making. Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
• Additional training and/or experience with infectious disease, disease control, disease modeling, emergency management, data management, data visualization, statistics, risk management, regulatory veterinary medicine and/or veterinary public health or epidemiology.
• Additional training and/or experience in the analysis, interpretation, and/or application of genomics data.
• Additional training and/or experience in health communications, health promotion or related field.
• Additional training and/or experience in animal agriculture or wildlife health. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of:
• Data Processing & Analysis (e.g. R Programming, Python, SAS)
• Database Management (e.g. MS Access, AWS)
• GIS Mapping (e.g. ESRI ArcMap, AGOL)
• MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
• Data Visualization (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, R Shiny)
• Graphic design software such as Canva
• Knowledge of food animal production systems in BC and Canada.
• Ability to direct analysis of data to generate information for decision making.
• Ability to supervise teams including setting and meeting timelines, prioritizing workloads and using personal initiative.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Knowledge in predictive modeling methodology.
• Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
• Knowledge of computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
• Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
• Ability to interpret and implement advanced mathematics, scientific rules, and methods to solve complex problems.
• Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Ability to analyze needs and deliverable requirements to create a design.
• Ability to comprehend how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations and the environment will affect outcomes.
• Ability to identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system. PROVISOS
• Willing to keep up to date with cutting-edge techniques in machine-learning and big data analytics and find ways to advance the organization's capabilities in analytics.
• Willingness and ability to learn new technologies on the job.
• Successful completion of security screening requirements of the BC Public Service, which may include a criminal records check, and/or Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check, and/or enhanced security screening checks as required by the ministry (Note: It is important that you read the job posting carefully to understand the specific security screening requirements pertaining to the position). BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
• Expertise includes the motivation to expand use technical knowledge or to distribute work-related knowledge to others.
• Planning, Organizing and Coordinating involves proactively planning, establishing priorities and allocating resources. It is expressed by developing and implementing increasingly complex plans. It also involves monitoring and adjusting work to accomplish goals and deliver to the organization's mandate.
• Conceptual Thinking is the ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related, and to identify key or underlying issues in complex situations. It includes using creative, conceptual or inductive reasoning or thought processes that are not necessarily categorized by linear thinking.
• Holding People Accountable involves setting high standards of performance and holding team members, other government jurisdictions, outside contractors, industry agencies, etc., accountable for results and actions.
Apply here! Images Additional Info
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Vancouver Island, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level