Traction Ventures is a part of the Traction group of companies that is focussed on fostering the growth of our portfolio of SaaS businesses. A Controller
for Traction Ventures is not just an accountant, but a true business partner for Traction and leader on the Traction Ventures finance team. You will be responsible for building the financial system infrastructure and processes for a portfolio of four start-up SaaS companies (and growing). You will own all accounting operational functions, implement accounting systems and controls around data integrity, and offer financial insights to help Traction Ventures understand how it has performed in the past, and how it can continue to grow in the future. You will be a part of building Traction Ventures from the ground up, a great opportunity for someone who thrives on embracing a true start-up mentality.
Traction on Demand's hiring philosophy is based on culture, intelligence and then skills. Here's what we mean by that: Culture
Culture at Traction on Demand isn't about drinking beer and playing ping-pong - it's much more. We are looking for people who want to join an active community of engaged individuals who see business as more than just a vehicle to make money. We care about our people, wider community and planet. Come join us on this journey!
Traction is a group of entrepreneurs committed to creating ecstatic clients, doing enjoyable work and being efficient in everything we do. We fail fast and love to innovate. Change is our middle name.
Our values don't just sit on a glossy page. We live them every day. Our values are the cornerstone of who we are - do they resonate with you?
- Embrace Knowledge
- Do the right thing
- Seek adventures and smiles
- Healthy hearts and heads
- Pursue opportunity
- Build community
People often ask what it takes to succeed at Traction on Demand - you've got to be smart, without having an ego. What does that mean? Imagine working with a group of your smartest friends who all love to learn. Everyone is always pushing each other to grow and innovate at a pace that can only be called furious. We are never idle or stagnant. We seek and share knowledge. We are comfortable with the unknown. We just "git 'r done." Skills
Tractionites come from a variety of backgrounds, and we are eager to find people that are from non-traditional backgrounds. Typically, we find that people are successful in this role when they have:
What You Will Be Doing
- CPA or other recognized Professional Accounting Designation
- 8+ years of accounting experience, including proven experience as a Controller or other similar accounting leadership position in a start-up environment
- Proven experience in high-growth SaaS start-up environment
- Experience implementing financial systems is a must, and proven record to build controlled processes and grow an accounting team
- Excellent knowledge of accounting, financial, and tax processes (financial period closure, reporting, systems, & both US and Canadian tax compliance and planning)
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation communication abilities
- Strong ability to manage a wide range of priorities and determine what is most important.
If you're interested, so are we! Send your resume our way, and we'll reach out to you if we are interested in moving forward.
- Working with and reporting to the VP Finance, Products you will build out integrated systems and processes tailored to support multiple SaaS start-ups and support their growth
- Oversight and in depth knowledge / capacity support of all accounting and financial processes including accounts payable and receivable, including building these processes and systems so they operate independently from but work seamlessly with the parent company
- Ownership of financial planning & analysis for 4+ SaaS companies, including budgeting and forecasting and adhoc analysis
- Creating controlled reporting to Traction on Demand - integrity of outputs and collaboration with the corporate accounting team is paramount
- As a manager, your team will include one full-cycle accountant, with oversight of all accounting functions including AP, AR, collections, revenue, payroll (including workers compensation & benefits), financial reporting and international accounting operations
- Prepare multiple entities for and support through funding rounds and due diligence
- Serve as a role model in financial management and internal controls: best practice sharing, proactive actions and creative problem-solving activities
- Ownership of the treasury process, including cash forecasting
- Ownership of the month end close process for 4+ entities, including consolidation
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Issuance of timely, accurate and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the provision of information for the annual audit
- Ensure compliance with provincial/state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Oversight of internal projects including system implementations, ensuring the operational functions are seamless, have the right controls in place, and the right systems are being leveraged
- Hiring & training accounting staff
- Ownership of relationships with external partners, including auditors, bankers, tax advisors, and other stakeholders and professional services providers
At Traction on Demand, we aim to change the world by challenging the traditional consulting model and building community with our clients, partners and neighbours. At our core, we're about improving the way companies do business by using technology - salesforce.com, technology partners and our own libraries of intellectual property. We are a people-first organization, creating long-term relationships with our clients and growing with them as strategic business partners. Our clients are varied in size, geography and industry, and include some of the world's largest firms and not-for-profit organizations. Traction for Good, our community engagement program, and our involvement as one of the first 100 B Corps in Canada are just a couple of the reasons why we have been named to the Best Places to Work in Canada top 10 list for several years running.
We are an equal opportunity employer and love diversity at our company! We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Please note, employment is contingent on successful completion of background and reference checks.
Traction on Demand
Banking, Finance and Insurance