Join GroupHEALTH Benefit Solutions® today and become part of an organization that is
transforming the way Canadian’s experience benefits.Our mission is simple
;We develop and deliver the most cost-effective employee benefits solutions to Canadian businesses.GroupHEALTH is accelerating - and you provide the fuel.
We are currently looking for aController
to join our team inSurrey, BC.
The Controller is responsible to plan, direct and coordinate all the financial operations for the A/P, A/R Revenue and Trust Accounting Teams and to support the Senior Director of Finance. The position will serve as a subject matter expert on all Finance operational matters. In addition, this role will be responsible for driving process improvements, reporting reliability and efficiency.OutcomesWithin 30 days:
Within 60 days:
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with key Finance team members to gain a basic understanding of team’s responsibilities.
- Learn the accounting functions and reporting requirements for key carriers
- Gain an overall understanding of the current process of key reports
Within 90 days:
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with key stakeholders from other departments and entities to gain a basic understanding of interactions between the A/P, A/R and Trust Teams and other teams (e.g. Underwriting leaders and Manion team)
- Gain an in-depth understanding of reporting processes and requirements for both AR and Trust Accounting teams
- Present an overview of the process review observations during the first 90 days and recommendations for process and efficiency improvements.
- Manage A/P, A/R & Revenue team and Trust Accounting Team
- Hire, mentor, train and retain competent Finance staff
- Perform quarterly objectives reviews and annual performance reviews for direct reports
- Gain full understanding of the roles for the direct and indirect reports
- Provide training and support where needed
Finance projects related to A/P, A/R & Revenue and Trust Accounting Teams
- Ensure all carrier reporting is reliable and timely
- Manage cash flow related to commission receivables
- Review internal control processes and operational requirements to improve accounting related procedures and control environment throughout the A/P, A/R, Revenue and Trust Accounting team
- Liaise with insurance carriers, claim payors, other key entity stakeholders to provide quality reports
- Assess current reporting processes, offer recommendations for process improvement, and implement new processes as needed (e.g. automation processes, special projects)
- Document and analyze how different reports interlink and overlap to maximize accuracy and reliability of reports.
- Review monthly revenue balances to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Develop and produce accessible and easy-to-understand financial updates to Business Leaders as required
Education & Experience
- Project management
- Business process improvement projects
- Other ad hoc projects, reporting and analysis as required
- Other duties as requested by Sr Director of Finance and CFO
Critical Competencies for ALL Hires:
- Professional accounting designation - CPA (CA/CGA/CMA)
- 10+ years of professional experience with minimum of seven years of relevant experience related to finance operations
- At least 5 years of people management experience
- Insurance/TPA industry experience is an asset
Competencies define how you expect a new hire to operate in the fulfillment of the job and the achievement of the outcomes.
Job Knowledge & Professional Development. Has a complete understanding of the role and is performing the role to its entirety. Acts without being told what to do. Continual focus on expanding knowledge of the role and of the Company as a whole.
Curiosity & Innovation. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems. Ask questions and respectfully challenges current processes. Brings new ideas to the Company and strives for continual improvement of their daily operations and/or work activities.
Organization & Planning. Plans, organizes, and schedules in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Able to stay on track and meet deadlines. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall positive and collaborative working relationship. Lends a helping hand whenever it is needed.
Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including Email. Lives up to verbal and written agreements. Communicates in a positive and respectful manner.
Math & Computer Skills. Exhibits strong mathematical ability and is proficient with computers and new technology.
Delivering WOW! Expects personal and team performance to be nothing short of the best. Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a positive, can-do attitude. Takes ownership of the role, goes above and beyond and does whatever it takes to get the job done!Knowledge, Skills & Attributes for this Role
- Professional accounting designation - CPA (CA/CGA/CMA)
- Proven supervisory experience as a highly motivated team leader
- Superior organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Must be an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn quickly and understand complex business operations
- Advanced computer skills (especially advanced EXCEL skills)
- Have hands-on and pragmatic management style
In addition to becoming part of a creative, challenging, and stimulating work environment, we also offer:
Want to be part of a rapidly growing company that is transforming the way Canadian’s experience benefits? Apply now!We thank everyone who applies to the Controller role; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to contact candidates who have been selected for an interview.
- a competitive salary & benefits program
- paid time off, including flex time
- education assistance
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with employer matching
Banking, Finance and Insurance