Temporary Full-Time Position (ASAP to 31 March 2022)
8:30am to 4:30pm / Monday to Friday
Pay Grade G ($27.87 to $29.83 per hour)
Applications are invited for a Computer Technician to be responsible for providing computer workstation, peripheral, application, VOIP telephony, client account, and other campus IT service support. Through the prioritization and management of assigned tickets, ensures that client issues are resolved using established department methods or best practices, and within any prescribed deadlines. As a member of the IT Help Desk, the Computer Technician may participate in monitoring the ticket queue, assigning tickets, and following up on other team member's tickets. Participates in new employee on-boarding by configuring workstations, telephony resources (physical or soft phones), and client accounts. Provides clients with orientations to their digital equipment, their accounts, and IT services. Applicants will have:
- Two-Year Diploma in computer technology plus one year specialized and/or ongoing relevant training.
- Minimum three years’ experience providing client support by solving OS, application, network, account, and equipment issues.
- Minimum three years’ experience deploying and supporting Windows 7/8/10 PCs in a Window’s networked environment.
- Minimum two years’ experience resolving client tickets as a Help Desk team member.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- VOIP Telephony support experience.
- Experience with one or more deployment management systems (i.e. SSCM, Dell KACE, etc.).
- Core networking technology knowledge and troubleshooting ability. CompTIA Network+ Certification (or equivalent experience) required.
- Working experience with Mac OSX, iOS, and Android OS required.
- Experience supporting software including MS Office, Adobe CC, email clients, and various internet browsers.
- Experience supporting SharePoint and/or Ellucian Colleague client’s desirable.
- MCSE certification in one or more of the following areas is considered an asset: Windows OS, Office 365, and Enterprise Devices & Apps.
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team player.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new technology skills.
- Proven systems, equipment, network, and software diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate technical concepts and processes to clients.
- Strong service orientation and the ability to maintain rapport with all clients.
Some Typical Duties:
- As a team member of the IT Help Desk, monitors and manages assigned tickets. Prioritizes tickets, meets ticket deadlines, and seeks team assistance when unable to resolve tickets. Regularly monitors outstanding tickets to ensure progress is made towards a resolution and clients are kept informed. Uses clear and concise written communication to both document ticket work, and provide clients with information and status updates. Responds with assistance to all clients through various channels such as tickets, phone calls, and walk-ins. May participate in monitoring the ticket queue, assigning tickets, and following up on other team member's tickets. Contributes to the ongoing improvement of client services and Help Desk operations.
- Resolves client IT problems by providing troubleshooting and support for workstations, peripheral equipment, software, client accounts, and services such as authentication, email, calendars, ERM access, file sharing, WiFi and printing. Follows established department procedures, configurations, and best practices.
- Configures pre-imaged computer workstations with software, client settings and peripherals for deployment. May participate in the building of workstation images and their configuration. Ensures equipment is deployed safely and securely.
- Configures and deploys clients phones (physical and soft phones) including workgroup options such as ring groups. Provides direct support to University owned cell phones by assisting with University specific configuration settings.
- Provides client orientations to workstations, equipment, client accounts, and IT systems, IT Help Desk services, and digital safety and security.
- Creates and maintains department records and resources, such as serial numbers, inventory records, consumable tracking, equipment, and tools, in an orderly and structured manner.
- Under direction, collaborates on, and maintains system documentation, technical and procedural information, instructional/training documents, and FAQs in a variety of formats including WIKI, HTML, and PDF.
- Ensures all equipment installations are maintained in a secure, safe, clean, and functional manner. Liaises with Facilities or the P3 provider regarding electrical, doors/locks, lighting, storage, leaks, breakage and other building concerns. Liaises with other departments, service organizations and suppliers regarding equipment needs or repairs. Reports any safety threats, suspicious activities, and security breaches to campus security.
- Maintains current knowledge of WHMIS and OH+S principles and practices and ensures a safe learning and working environment. Assists in establishing proper safety procedures and ensures they are followed
- Represents the work area at departmental and other meetings as required. Researches and recommends hardware and software purchases when requested. May order equipment and supplies.
To apply for this job, please visit https://ecuad.peopleadmin.ca. Competition closes on Tuesday, 26 October 2021.
Emily Carr University especially invites those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized. These include women, persons with diverse gender expressions and identities, persons of all sexual orientations, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and First Nations, Metis, Inuit and Indigenous persons. All qualified people are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.