About the Opportunity
Our Community Planning team in Northeastern BC is growing and we are searching for two outstanding individuals to join our team of consultants! We find solutions for the challenges that our local governments and Indigenous clients face. To achieve this, we take a collaborative approach that involves creating effective outcomes and building for the future together.
We’re searching for curious and solutions-focused individuals who want to build their careers alongside our team of practitioners in a small, young, and growing office that has a lot of fun together. We are excited to find someone who is keen to be part of a team that is focused on building relationships and has the desire to serve our communities to make them even better.
We’re building for the future; you could be a big part of this!
Do you see yourself excited to…
- Build your career and grow alongside a team of professionals in a dynamic and fun environment.
- Come alongside our clients to understand their unique challenges, work collaboratively to explore solutions and develop thoughtful and meaningful implementation strategies.
- Develop trusting relationships and partnerships both with our clients and within Urban Systems, committed to a culture built on trust.
- Be part of a team to deliver on projects related to community planning, land use planning, policy writing, Indigenous planning, bylaw development, social planning and housing, development approvals, and local government finance.
- Undertake research on a wide range of topics, data analysis, and public engagements, and prepare reports, presentations, and other documents that present information in a manner easily understood by a wide variety of audiences.
Our focus is on finding great people to add to our team. We are open to various educational backgrounds with relevant skills, including but not limited to urban, rural or regional planning, community development, geography, urban design, and public policy. We are open to considering applicants ranging from recent graduates to those with up to 5 years of professional experience.
The following attributes and skills will help you thrive here at Urban:
- Relationships matter – You understand what it takes to develop relationships to deliver results with your teams and build a community that celebrates diversity, unity and a culture of belonging. You have the desire to bring stakeholders together.
- Curious – You have a growth mindset and are eager to learn more, ask questions, and listen. You work exceptionally well with others and bring everyone’s ideas and voices together. You know that being present and listening to people to understand their needs and experiences is integral to being in service of others.
- Entrepreneurial spirit – You embrace challenges as opportunities, seeking innovative solutions to create value and drive growth in a rapidly changing environment. You take initiative and make things happen.
- Solutions-focused – You care about the outcomes. You are open to new perspectives and welcome the opportunity to do things a little differently to achieve long-term resiliency for communities.
- Communicator – You are a passionate and skilled communicator. You can take the complicated and make it easy to understand, weaving together research and data to deepen understanding and tell a compelling story.
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Our Dawson Creek office is new, young, and making exciting things happen. We are a small office with a start-up mentality, supported by 18 offices and over 700 people across Canada.
Since 1975, Urban Systems has worked with our clients to deliver meaningful work for the betterment of communities. We care for our communities and for our people. It’s our differences that make us exciting, and our shared belief in Urban Systems that binds us together. We’re searching for the creative, passionate, curious and courageous to join us in creating impactful and generational change in communities.
Our Commitment to You
Here’s what you can expect as a team member at Urban Systems:
- Competitive Compensation & Benefits. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage, and more. This position will have a salary range of $72,000.00 - $85,000.00 per year based on a 40-hour work week. The range is negotiable based on your skillset and experience.
- Paid time off. We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
- Learn and grow. Your professional growth and development is supported here. You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
- Work with inter-disciplinary teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate.
- Flexible hours & work environment. You have a life outside of work. We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Saving for the future. To help you achieve your long-term retirement goals, we offer a Long-Term Savings Matching Plan that enhances your contributions to an RRSP or TSFA.
- Support through transitions. You will be supported through life’s moments and transitions, big or small, including generous top-up for parental leave.
- Create lasting community impact. Urban Systems employees believe that the work we do is important. Join our team and work together to bring impactful community projects to life!
- And, we don’t forget to have fun together!
How to Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes, please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly, but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 at 10:00 am MST