Closing Date: May 19, 2022
Climate change is a subject matter that has escalated exponentially in the regulatory and financial sectors, and more broadly with communities. Climate change is now a central consideration for Teck's overall business strategy and its portfolio of commodities/assets. Teck has committed to achieving net-zero Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2050, with an ambition to achieve net-zero Scope 3 emissions by 2050. Part of Teck's decarbonization strategy will be to develop a comprehensive, de-risked roadmap capable of supporting decision making and capital allocation decisions associated with the renewable energy and decarbonization technology adoption choices we make in addressing our Scope 1, 2 and 3 targets.
Reporting to the Lead, Strategic Planning, Decarbonization with a dotted line to the Director, Corporate Development, the Commercial Analyst, Decarbonization is responsible for developing and maintaining the decarbonization financial model which incorporates the analysis of a broad range of decarbonization initiatives from a strategic, economic, financial, and business perspective. The role involves the financial and operational evaluation of renewable energy and decarbonization technology alternatives for each of our sites and projects, working closely with the decarbonization team and site and project leads to support analysis and implementation. The Commercial Analyst, Decarbonization also supports external carbon offsets analysis, decarbonization capital allocation, and decarbonization transactions (acquisitions, partnerships, joint ventures etc.). Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop and maintain the Teck decarbonization financial model capable of:
- evaluating site based renewable energy and decarbonization technology options capable of meeting Teck's climate change commitments
- supporting technology tradeoff financial analysis;
- supporting capital funding approval via Teck's capital allocation framework and third-party funding opportunities;
- life of mine decarbonization scenario planning and sensitivity analysis.
- Perform economic assessment of internal and external decarbonization opportunities:
- Develop financial models for technology initiative cost valuations;
- Draw on internal and external expertise/resources to develop comprehensive assessment of opportunities including acquisitions, partnerships and joint ventures;
- Participate in technology assessments, including travel to project sites where required; and,
- Utilize third-party databases to obtain relevant data to support analyses.
- Working closely with site/functional/procurement decarbonization team leads to:
- Incorporate emissions life of mine changes into the decarbonization model;
- Evaluate and incorporate site-based decarbonization initiatives.
- Working closely with the Business Units' energy teams to develop the analysis required to support renewable energy development, including grid expansion, solar, and other forms of renewable generation
- Working closely with the Director, Climate Change and Director, Environment to:
- develop general knowledge of the various carbon pricing regimes and apply this knowledge appropriately in the evaluation of decarbonization opportunities;
- develop carbon pricing and carbon offset models to support assessment of decarbonization and carbon offset opportunities;
- apply carbon pricing/carbon offset financial analysis to support transactions
- Develop presentation and information packages to assist senior management in decision making #LI-JN1
- A degree in Business, Engineering, or a related discipline
- A professional designation related to finance (e.g. Chartered Financial Analyst, Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, Master of Business Administration or Master of Science in Mineral Economics) and previous experience in the Energy and Natural Resources sector or investment banking will be considered an asset.
- 3-8 years of relevant work experience or in a role with transferrable skillsets
- Ability to develop and interpret financial models with a strong understanding of business drivers and relevant outputs required to promote decision making
- Thorough understanding of analytical methods and concepts in finance with the ability to apply economic, accounting, financial and investment principles to the solution of corporate business problems.
- Skilled with Excel; experience with Power BI will be considered an asset
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and to be adaptable in order to respond effectively and efficiently to opportunities as they arise.
- Strong relationship-building skills and the ability to work with personnel at all levels of seniority from other functional areas across the Company and external organizations
- A self-starter who is able to prioritize amongst multiple projects at once and work with limited guidance
- A student of the industry - possess or develop the background and expertise to contribute to commodity and industry specific analysis both regionally and globally.
- A high degree of critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Foreign language skills (particularly Spanish) would be an asset
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally, sometimes at short notice. The amount of travel required to perform the role will vary but could typically be up to 10% of the year
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Engineer, Law, Accounting, Strategic Planning, Engineering, Legal, Finance, Mining, Strategy