Title: Co-op, Software Developer
Location: #5 East 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Term: 4, 8 or 12 months
Start Date:Summer Term Only
(May 6th, 2019)About our team
You'll work on a tight-knit team of passionate operations developers to build and maintain the systems infrastructure, servers and networks that power our mission-critical social media applications. You'll learn from a mentor, be a part of an amazing team, and play an active role in shaping our product and our culture.
The Software Development team needs to deploy our application continuously, and the Ops Eng team is the anchor behind this continuous delivery. We want teammates who challenge us, ask hard questions, and drive continuous improvement.
\"During my co-op term at Hootsuite I worked on the newly formed production delivery team. What I really
enjoyed about this term was that many of the bleeding-edge distributed systems concepts learned over my
senior year immediately applied to the work I was doing. I was able to further my understanding of these
topics greatly through everyday real-life use. Furthermore, the company culture is awesome and I worked
with some of the most talented people who are always willing to lend a hand"
- Mohit Gupta, Software Developer
Read about our co-ops' experiences: code.hootsuite.com/category/co-op/Job Description
The Operations team is responsible for system administration and service management. Your code may not end up on the homepage, but your team loves you because the stuff you build makes everything "just work". Who you are...
You will build and ship the next generation of infrastructure for our large-scale, critical social media services. You'll work on the Operations team building monitoring systems to diagnose low-level performance issues. Work with our Software Development teams to manage and optimize our configuration management and inventory service, as well as our build and deployment pipeline. You will participate in software development process by optimizing low-level code, developing capacity testing systems and designing/maintaining development environments You're Great at..
- Understanding of managing virtualized environments - AWS, vSphere, CloudStack
- Familiar with Linux administration; bash and/or python scripting
- Familiar with typical application stack software - nginx, apache
- Familiar with relational or non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Moving fast, shipping things, making our customers happy, and getting things done
- An interest in distributed systems, containers, security and big data
- An understanding of improving infrastructure availability and efficiency
- Desire to make an impact on a global user base
- A creative thinker, capable of troubleshooting any problem quickly
Hootsuite is an inclusive employer. Every effort will be made to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.