Design, build, deploy and maintain Technology infrastructure Closing Date: February 19, 2023
As a Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining secure public and private cloud-based infrastructure using Infrastructure as Code. You will work with a dedicated team and utilize cutting-edge technologies to deliver world-class solutions and perfect your skills. Additionally, you will work with the Architecture team to design and maintain secure and highly available deployments for both cloud and on-premise solutions. POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer provides technical leadership and collaborates with business and technology teams to deliver solutions that meet product and service requirements for both the cloud and on-premises platforms.
The Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer is instrumental in the development and operation of cloud services and components and collaborates with business and technology teams to design, build, deploy and maintain Technology infrastructure.
The position can be based in either Vancouver or Victoria with travel between the two cities and has three career progression levels.
- Level 1: Responsible for contributing to the successful implementation of a secure cloud operations and services strategy along with building and maintaining servers, storage and other infrastructure services with a mid-level of complexity and stakeholder engagement, typically acquired through 3+ years of experience. Works independently and has an experienced level of competency within the role.
- Level 2: Responsible for collaborating, developing and implementing policies and guidelines of a secure cloud operations and services strategy along with architecting, building and maintaining system solutions, storage and other infrastructure services with a mid to high level of complexity and stakeholder engagement, typically acquired through 6+ years of experience. Works independently, provides guidance and training to others, and has an advanced level of competency within the role.
- Level 3: Responsible for collaborating, developing and implementing policies, guidelines, of a secure cloud operations and services strategy along with architecting, building and maintaining system solutions, storage and other infrastructure services with a high level of complexity and stakeholder engagement, typically acquired through 9+ years of experience. W orks independently, provides guidance and training to others, has an expert-level of competency within the role, and is an established expert in the discipline/area.
The following qualifications are illustrative of a standard Level 2
and may be scaled down or up in scope and depth of expertise or experience based upon the level selected.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field, or a technical diploma, and/or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 6 years of experience with physical and cloud infrastructure preferably including direct experience with Azure
- Experience with Agile methodologies and DevOps practices including CI/CD Pipelines.
- Experience designing, developing, and automating the provisioning of resources and system administration functions in the cloud and on premises using Terraform and/or ARM templates
- Experience in the design of self-healing and fault-tolerant services
- Experience with identity and access management
- Experience with config management tools like Ansible, Puppet and Chef
- Experience across a variety of windows technologies including, but not limited to Active Directory, Exchange, SQL, System Center, SharePoint and PKI
- Extensive knowledge of OS security, virtualization technologies and storage solutions and the ability to translate this knowledge into secure, practical and user-friendly solutions is essential
- Experience with monitoring platforms such as CloudWatch, Azure Monitoring, SolarWinds or Stackdriver Monitoring
- Experience with programming and scripting languages such as Python, Bash or PowerShell
- A broad understanding of cloud architecture, networking, and security technologies and/or security and technology frameworks is an asset
- Strong technical writing and documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute and deliver project results
- Professional certification(s) in cloud computing, infrastructure, development or architecture is an asset
The following responsibilities are illustrative of a standard Level 2
and may be scaled down or up in leadership, complexity, and autonomy based upon the level selected.
- Leads the implementation of a secure platform operational and services strategy
- Collaborates with Technology teams on technical roadmap planning, development, and implementation
- Develops and implements governance, operational policies, standards, or guidelines to align with industry frameworks and best practices
- Develops and implements technical infrastructure roadmaps to drive the infrastructure transformation required to support BCI strategic objectives.
- Designs, analyses and recommends cloud controls, processes and procedures related to the use
of cloud products and services, and monitors for compliance
- Develops requirements for cloud products and services and drives selection, POC, implementation and deployment of cloud products and services
- Designs, develops and delivers new features and capabilities for cloud products and services
- Ensures that all deployed cloud products and services meet availability, integrity, scalability, and security requirements of BCI and the Technology Department
- Monitors the health of production cloud and on-premises systems, investigates and resolves technical issues, and engages in continuous improvement initiatives and activities
- Orchestrates and automates cloud and on-premises operational management tasks and processes
- Responsible for ensuring optimal performance of infrastructure, servers and services across multiple BCI office locations
- Communicates and/or interacts with internal technical teams, external service providers and customers effectively and efficiently throughout the service delivery process
- Diagnoses and resolves both routine and complex infrastructure problems through effective root cause analysis
- Develops detailed and comprehensive technical knowledge of BCI's systems and applications to ensure that infrastructure architecture supports these platforms in an optimized fashion
- Provides expert input to the development of a cloud and infrastructure disaster recovery plan for BCI
- Leads, schedules and/or performs infrastructure improvements, upgrades and repairs
- Contributes to the development and implementation of project plans at a senior level
- Provides technical leadership, mentoring and coaching to team members
- Proactively identifies risks and issues and proposes solutions to remove barriers
- Undertakes special projects or assignments as required
- Provides after-hours production support as required
BCI's Technology department plays a critical role in the organization by planning, providing, maintaining, and supporting business applications and information technology infrastructure. The department functions as a strategic partner to the rest of the organization, providing technology that supports investment processes and all other business activities. The technology department is foundational to BCI and its success in achieving its business goals.
Hear from some of BCI'ers about their thoughts on being apart of the Technology team: Join our Technology team: bci.ca/careers WHAT BCI OFFERS
BCI is one of Canada's Top 100 Employers
and has built programs and benefits to support our employees.
As an employee of BCI you will have access to benefits such as:
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world
- Extended health and dental coverage
- 20 days' vacation per year
- Participation in our defined benefit pension plan
- 2 paid days for volunteering per year
- Various wellness benefits
We offer relocation support for the selected candidate.
This position is currently open for applications and interviews will commence as they are received. Images Images Additional Info
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level