Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Civil Technician to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey B.C.
Performs a variety of set ups and tests on a variety of mechanical equipment, materials and components in the laboratory or field.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
1. Performs the set up of and oversees the testing and examination of specific items within the materials discipline by investigating, recording measurements, operating specialized test instruments, determining parameters, locating failure points, troubleshooting, identifying and reporting causes of test equipment malfunctions and preparing related reports.
2. Inspects various projects and products to ensure conformity to established standards, specifications and procedures; advises clients of approved procedures and applies standards or modifications of approved test methods and procedures; recommends corrective measures or advises project /laboratory leader of unusual problems.
3. Advises, demonstrates and trains technical staff on specific techniques regarding meeting specifications and standards.
4. Discusses and provides cost and time required for testing to customers.
5. Drafts technical reports of results including supporting data and recommendations which may include preparing schematic and working drawings.
6. Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job. This includes the performance of duties across disciplines in a job of the same or lower job group.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
Experience, Training and Education
Completion of a Certificate of Technology from an Institute of Technology in Civil and two (2) years of experience working in a lab setting up and performing tests on materials and components.
Location: Surrey B.C.
Job ID: CIVTEC2018.49
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
MoveUp: Job Group 8
Compensation & Benefits: Compensation is dependent on qualifications - Minimum is $4,191 per month. Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: November 21, 2018
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
To apply and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com
Connect with employer: