Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for multiple Chemical Technologists to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey B.C.
This position provides work leadership and laboratory leadership to other staff; project leadership in chemical testing and research projects; develops and prepares technical reports; liaises with others within the industry to secure future work for Powertech.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
Experience, Training and Education
National Diploma of Technology from an Institute of Technology in the Environmental and Industrial Chemistry discipline with over 8 years of related experience. B.Sc. in a relevant discipline is preferred.
• In-depth knowledge and laboratory experience in one of the following three analytical chemistry disciplines (Please indicate area of in-depth knowledge/specialization when applying):
2. Tribology (lubricating fluids, fuels and coolants),
3. Insulating fluids for electrical equipment
• A strong working knowledge of ISO 17025 accreditation requirements and laboratory QA/QC principles and practices
• A strong working knowledge of statistical methods and data interpretation
• Demonstrated experience with method development, validation and verification
• Expertise with writing and updating standard operating procedures (SOPs)
• Experience with operating and maintaining one or more of the following instruments: GC, GC-MS, HPLC, ICP
• Good understanding of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
• Expertise in process improvement and optimization
• Possess an eye for detail (when necessary) yet stay focused on the big picture
Status: Full-Time Regular
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Compensation: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance
Job ID: CT2019.1
Close Date: January 31, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
To apply and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit us online at powertechlabs.com.
Connect with employer: