Job Description Summary
The Procurement group is looking for a Category Manager to join the team! The Category Manager will work collaboratively to meet the long term and strategic material needs. This position will work closely with internal teams such as Research & Development, Process Development, Process Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, and, Planner/Buyers.
The Category Manager will use in-depth knowledge of markets, suppliers, products and their cost drivers to develop, implement and manage the category strategy, with a focus on maximizing value and mitigating risks. This is a developing role within the Procurement function with an opportunity to contribute to shaping the Procurement organization of the future.
We are looking for candidates with specific experience in one of the following specialties:
- Biologics raw materials will consist of sera, purified and recombinant proteins.
- Material science will consist of small molecules, polymers, salts as well as other organic and inorganic compounds .
Please indicate the specialty in your application.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as an ambassador of Procurement at STEMCELL; represent Procurement in cross-functional meetings and projects; act as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert for Procurement activities and assigned raw material category; ensure cross-functional stakeholder engagement in Procurement activities by facilitating a culture of collaboration and responsiveness; work within the Procurement team to improve existing functions and to develop new areas of responsibility
- Develop extensive market knowledge through identifying market leaders, understanding value chains, supply and demand drivers, monitoring supply trends and shifts in technology
- Facilitate cross-functional strategic sourcing and supplier selection to support products throughout their lifecycle (from development to retirement)
- Identify opportunities for improvement with a focus on short and long term cost reductions, operational efficiencies and quality improvements for material category
- Proactively identify areas of supply risk (demand, supply, environmental and business continuity) and work with internal stakeholders to develop and implement risk management strategies
- Implement supplier relationship management principles for key suppliers; establish internal and supplier-facing business review cadence to monitor supplier's spend and performance and identify improvement opportunities; work closely with the Planning team to align inventory management strategies with purchasing strategies to ensure a shift from transactional to strategic relationships with supplier
- Initiate supplier agreements with key suppliers and collaborate with contract negotiations team to finalize agreements
- Facilitate quality agreement negotiations between suppliers, Quality team, and contract negotiations team
- Operationalize contracts by ensuring adherence to contract commitments by all parties
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in relevant discipline
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in a procurement, sales or supply chain discipline
- Work experience should demonstrate a progression of responsibilities and knowledge
- Knowledge and experience in the market segment for serum derived products is required
- Knowledge and or experience in protein purification and recombinant protein production is an asset
- Strong analytical skills and comfort with identifying data needs and sources; extensive experience with Microsoft Excel is required
- Experience with SAP, R+ or demand driven operating systems is an asset
- Exposure to ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 quality management systems and cGMPs is an asset
- Strong focus on continuous improvement
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills is required
- Capable of working effectively in multidisciplinary teams and delivering complex objectives under aggressive timelines
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!
Operations and Logistics