We are looking for an extraordinarily motivated and talented Category Leader with a strong customer focus to join our retail business. You will lead and develop a high performing team whose primary goal is to build and grow our business online, as we disrupt and invent how customers shop online for heavy-bulky building materials. Functional responsibility of the role spans the full spectrum of e-commerce including vendor and product strategy definition, buying, pricing, planning, project management, and influence over site merchandising and product marketing.
You will act as the ‘CEO’ for your product category including developing and leading the vendor strategy and possessing a complete understanding of your category and variables that impact the business. This entails owning forecasting, monitoring, management of the category, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects, vendor investments and promotions to achieve business objectives. The category leader is comfortable building strong relationships at C-level with our vendors, finds creative solutions in negotiations and facilitates profitable growth. You enjoy sharing best practices across categories and turn in-depth analysis into strategic insight and action. You will work with the instock team to create better product availability through operational improvements. Finally, you will manage a team of vendor/category managers through whom you will drive selection growth and deliver the P&L to support the overall business
We are seeking someone with experience leading teams, demonstrated history of building strong vendor relationships, and comfort using data to troubleshoot and prioritize business decisions while managing multiple responsibilities within a fast-paced environment.
Cross functional engagement includes:
- Maximize BuildDirect business profitability and selection expansion opportunities, while innovating with warehousing and logistics teams.
- Develop a strong understanding of your customer, both existing and potential, working with our sales and marketing team and use that knowledge to advocate for and drive delivery of site features by partnering with the Site Merchandising leader
- Create annual business operating plans at the vendor and category level, along with financial analysis of business opportunities to meet and exceed revenue and profitability targets
- University degree ideally in an analytical discipline, e.g. business or engineering. 10+yrs of work experience.
- Analytical skill set with aptitude for data-driven business management
- Retail Buyer, purchasing / procurement or key account management experience; consulting experience a plus
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong hands-on, results-driven mentality combined with the ability to work strategically
- Experience in building executive level internal and external relationships in a complex and dynamic organization and in influencing cross-functional teams
- Experience in managing and developing a high performance team and cross-functional projects
- MBA with relevant business experience
- Relevant senior level experience in e-commerce retail, operations, and/or business management with a proven history of delivering results
- Experience in vendor negotiations, pricing and promotion and online marketplaces
- Advanced experience with Excel, or other analytical/Business Intelligence tools
- Working in a start-up or early stage environment, dealing with ambiguity and defining best practices and new processes for your function