We are looking for an extraordinarily motivated and talented Category Leader with a strong customer focus to join our retail business. You will lead and develop a high performing team whose primary goal is to build and grow our business online, as we disrupt and invent how customers shop online for heavy-bulky building materials. Functional responsibility of the role spans the full spectrum of e-commerce including vendor and product strategy definition, buying, pricing, planning, project management, and influence over site merchandising and product marketing.What You’ll Do
You will act as the ‘CEO’ for your product category including developing and leading the vendor strategy and possessing a complete understanding of your category and variables that impact the business. This entails owning forecasting, monitoring, management of the category, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects, vendor investments and promotions to achieve business objectives. The category leader is comfortable building strong relationships at C-level with our vendors, finds creative solutions in negotiations and facilitates profitable growth. You enjoy sharing best practices across categories and turn in-depth analysis into strategic insight and action. You will work with the instock team to create better product availability through operational improvements. Finally, you will manage a team of vendor/category managers through whom you will drive selection growth and deliver the P&L to support the overall business
We are seeking someone with experience leading teams, demonstrated history of building strong vendor relationships, and comfort using data to troubleshoot and prioritize business decisions while managing multiple responsibilities within a fast-paced environment.
Cross functional engagement includes:
What You Need to Know
- Maximize BuildDirect business profitability and selection expansion opportunities, while innovating with warehousing and logistics teams.
- Develop a strong understanding of your customer, both existing and potential, working with our sales and marketing team and use that knowledge to advocate for and drive delivery of site features by partnering with the Site Merchandising leader
- Create annual business operating plans at the vendor and category level, along with financial analysis of business opportunities to meet and exceed revenue and profitability targets
- University degree ideally in an analytical discipline, e.g. business or engineering. 10+yrs of work experience.
- Analytical skill set with aptitude for data-driven business management
- Retail Buyer, purchasing / procurement or key account management experience; consulting experience a plus
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong hands-on, results-driven mentality combined with the ability to work strategically
- Experience in building executive level internal and external relationships in a complex and dynamic organization and in influencing cross-functional teams
- Experience in managing and developing a high performance team and cross-functional projects
What You Must Have
- MBA with relevant business experience
- Relevant senior level experience in e-commerce retail, operations, and/or business management with a proven history of delivering results
- Experience in vendor negotiations, pricing and promotion and online marketplaces
- Advanced experience with Excel, or other analytical/Business Intelligence tools
- Working in a start-up or early stage environment, dealing with ambiguity and defining best practices and new processes for your function
- High level of trust and a commitment to doing what you say you are going to do.
- An obsession for delighting customers.
- A passionate drive to deliver results and constantly raise the bar.
- An entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and challenges with enthusiasm.
- Ability and desire to be scrappy, move fast and operate effectively in a rapidly changing environment.
- Innate motivation to learn and continuously develop yourself and others.
- Commitment to fearless communication.
Founded in 1999, BuildDirect is the innovative marketplace for purchasing and selling quality home improvement & flooring materials online. BuildDirect co-founders wanted to simplify the home improvement industry and give the power of choice back to the homeowner and home improvement professional. They wanted to provide those seeking to build or improve homes with an online marketplace to access the flooring products they want, at the prices they’d love, delivered on time directly to their doorstep.
And today we do just that.
Servicing North America, BuildDirect connects homeowners and home improvement professionals with sellers around the world, creating a much simpler and trusted shopping experience. The platform offers Pro’s and Homeowners the ability to purchase various volumes of flooring products direct from Sellers. This keeps costs low, often up to half the price found at big box stores or specialty retailers, and provides efficient direct-to-home (or jobsite) shipping of those products. BuildDirect Perks
- Office located in the heart of the growing tech area of downtown Vancouver, with 360-degree views of the city, easy access to public transit, near 100’s of restaurants & bars, and onsite ping pong
- Weekly fresh fruit deliveries and unlimited fresh coffee & tea
- Newly renovated onsite gym, lockers, and bike storage
- Unlimited vacation
- Employee stock options
- Extended health benefits (i.e., naturopath, massage therapy, acupuncture)
- Annual learning benefit
- Regular company-wide & team events
- A culture of talented people, that like to have fun!