Business Technology Architect
Location: Remote (BC only), BC, CA
Job Function: Information Technology Overview:
Joining the Business Technology team at BCLC means you'll be working with cutting-edge technology to help build a world-class entertainment company. This is an engaged, innovative, capable group of talented individuals working in digital enablement, product delivery services, technology platform enablement, enterprise services, integrity and operations. This enables us to execute the purchase and validation of lottery tickets at over 3500 lottery retailers, manage a complex network of 12,000 slot machines and electronic table games across the province and provide the backbone for BCLC's eGaming platform, and much more.
The Business Technology Architect will have a significant voice in our Enterprise Player Experience Strategy, one of three key pillars in our overall corporate strategy. You'll be a trusted and equal partner with senior level business stakeholders, researching and evaluating current state and providing the architectural expertise and technical direction. We're looking for someone with a large business focus with an equally strong business architecture skillset.
We have offices in Kamloops and Vancouver and can also support 100% remote (from within British Columbia) for this position.Job Summary:
Reporting to the Director, Digital Enablement, the Business Technology Architect is a key technical consultant and partner for senior business stakeholders, providing technical leadership and direction, aligning business unit and BT strategies and plans to derive maximum value. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Collaborates closely with senior level business stakeholders, Product Owners, and Business Architects to understand the corporate strategies, business strategies, and business roadmaps/backlogs; participates in key business meetings. Communicates business direction back to BT stakeholders to help align BT to business outcomes. Works in partnership with business stakeholders to incorporate technology initiatives (including lifecycle plans and evergreen) into business roadmaps/backlogs to create a single, joint roadmap/backlog; identifies and communicates technology gaps, dependencies, constraints, efficiencies for execution, and recommendations for investment.
- Advocates for integration of Enterprise Architecture direction into business strategies, plans, and roadmaps, and advocates for the business unit's strategies and needs within broader Enterprise Architecture and IT planning.
- Leads development, definition, and promotion of business unit specific architecture strategy by applying Enterprise Architecture Principles and Strategies; ensures alignment with the business unit's strategies, mission, and needs.
- Leads development of business unit specific Enterprise Domain Roadmaps to outline transition state architectures, aligned with Enterprise Architecture and business strategies and roadmaps/backlogs; collaborates with Product Teams, technical subject matter experts, and vendors.
- In collaboration with business unit stakeholders, Product Owners, Enterprise Architecture, and Business Architects, maps existing and emerging business capabilities to technical solutions and systems.
- Communicates and champions the business unit architecture strategy and Enterprise Domain Roadmaps to the Product Teams including presenting complex architecture concepts to a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders, including Executive and Senior Leadership, across the enterprise.
- Contributes to Enterprise Architecture Principles, Standards, Strategies, and Reference Architectures, and promotes them within the business units and Product Teams; regularly aligns with other Business Technology Architects and Enterprise Architecture.
- Provides consultation and advice to Product Teams and technical subject matter experts to encourage alignment to overall Enterprise Architecture and business unit specific Enterprise Domain Roadmaps; may work with Product Teams as required to assist complex or strategic designs
- Provides general advice and direction to business units on technology use, industry trends, and emerging technology; researches technology providers and emerging technology to recommend solutions and opportunities to business and technology stakeholders; may lead Proof of Concepts or Architectural Spikes as required. Participates in the various Architecture Communities of Excellence and contributes to the Emerging Technology Community of Practice.
- Leads conversations with partners and vendors to understand their strategic technology direction and to communicate BCLC's strategic technology direction, with the aim of alignment and shared understanding.
- Participates in business unit Business Cases and Request for Proposal creation and evaluation.
Education and Experience
- This position requires a post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems;
- Five to seven years' experience in related role with a demonstrated delivery of strategies, roadmaps, standards, and architecture;
- TOGAF or other architectural framework certification or experience is an asset;
- Equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Strong communication skills, including written, oral, and presentation skills, with emphasis on building and growing positive relationships; strong listener
- Ability to simplify complex technical concepts to communicate to a non-technical audience in a way that is clear and understandable
- Proven ability to collaborate and facilitate collaboration effectively and with teams and stakeholders, both internal and external;
- Experience with analyzing, designing, and implementing scalable, highly available systems for backend and customer facing, real-time transaction processing;
- Advanced understanding of a platform approach to enable business flexibility;
- Advanced understanding of integration platforms and technology, including Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Microservice Architecture, and API best practices;
- Strong understanding of how to design gambling systems and applications to take advantage of cloud technology, DevOps practices, monitoring, and automation;
- Broad knowledge of modern technology, applications, frameworks, and toolsets, such as containerization, RESTful Web Services, React, Node.js, AI/cognitive, etc;
- Strong understanding of designing for regulations, cyber security and privacy compliance;
- Ability to work highly independently and provide leadership through new and ambiguous situations; comfortable with dealing with incomplete or imperfect information;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills;
- Good understanding of organizational and Change Management concepts and strategies;
- Detailed knowledge of architecture and software modeling tools;
- Experience working in agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.) or providing architectural support to agile teams is an asset.
For over three decades, BCLC has delivered exceptional gambling entertainment for British Columbians with the primary purpose of giving back to the province.
• Operate provincial, national and "Instant Win" in partnership with over 3500 lottery retailers across the province.
• Oversee 34 casino and community gaming centres across the province.
• Provide safe, secure and legal online gambling options including sports betting, casino style games and lottery.
In the fiscal year prior to the pandemic, we gave over $1.4 billion back to the province to support healthcare, education, community groups, and much more.
To help us achieve this goal, we aim to have the healthiest players in the world by establishing a higher standard of support with evidence-based player health programs.
To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community.
BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options.
Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates from outside BC.
If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: www.corporate.bclc.com.
Ready to join our team?
BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be at least 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.