Help us protect not only the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud computing environment but all of our customers as well! Since 2006, our great team at AWS has been enabling our customers to bring great ideas to life in ways that aren't possible in traditional IT environments. With AWS you can flexibly harness compute, storage, security, and other services from across the globe as your business demands them.
AWS Security is on the cutting edge of many security issues for a wide variety of platforms and technologies including cloud services, Internet of things (IoT), identity and access management, mobile devices, virtualization and custom hardware, all operating at massive scale. Similarly, our highly collaborative team is committed to each team member's growth as our business grows.
AWS Security is looking for a Application Security Engineer to help validate that our services, applications, and websites are designed and implemented to the highest security standards. You will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications and services, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and quickly reacting to new threat scenarios. You will have the opportunity to learn from, and be mentored by, those who are building and securing our cutting-edge services.
You are expected to be strong in multiple domains and provide significant contributions to the AWS IT Security team and to multiple groups throughout Amazon. You are expected to develop elegant solutions to complex business problems and apply appropriate technologies while following security engineering best practices. You are also expected to mentor more junior engineers and be a security thought leader for the organization.
You will foster constructive dialogue and seek resolution when confronted with discordant views. Engineers in this role are expected to participate fully in the planning of the AWS IT Security team's work and constantly seek opportunities for process improvement. You should also have a deep understanding of at least one specialty for which they are a sought out resource (both within AWS Security and by groups throughout Amazon), while having an understanding of the application of information security in a broad range of technical areas.
You will need a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills, as well as the ability to handle a mix of disparate tasks which may include project and software development work. This role will provide career growth opportunities as you gain new security skills in the course of your duties.
• Application security reviews
• Mobile security reviews
• Secure architecture design
• Threat modeling
• Projects and research work as needed
• Security training and outreach to internal development teams
• Security guidance documentation
• Security tool development
• Security metrics delivery and improvements
• Assistance with recruiting activities and administrative work
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience with any combination of the following: threat modeling experience, secure coding, identity management and authentication, software development, cryptography, system administration and network security.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience with security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, or application security.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Experience implementing security solutions at the business division level
• An understanding of network and web related protocols (such as, TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols)
• An understanding of web services
• Experience with multiple programming languages (such as, Java, C++, Ruby, Python, Perl, etc.)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrable teamwork skills and resourcefulness
• Possess self-drive to keep moving things forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid "analysis paralysis")
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.