Please review the job details below.
Are you keen to have large scale impact in the work that you do? Are you eager to learn and develop your career in software and systems engineering? Do you want to work with experienced engineers who are delivering cutting-edge technical solutions to some of the most complex problems in the world?
If you do, we would be thrilled to discuss why you should consider the opportunities MDA offers to grow your skills and career. Who we are:
MDA is a global aerospace, communications, and information company serving commercial and government customers worldwide.
The Earth Observation Systems group is a world leading provider of earth observation satellite ground systems focused on the acquisition, processing, archiving, and discovery of huge volumes of space-based imagery. Working in multidisciplinary and multi-level teams in an ever changing world, we deliver leading-edge technical, operational, and commercial solutions to commercial and government customers around the globe. Our mission critical systems provide the hardware and software infrastructure that drives operational success and enables our customers to effectively utilize their space-based imagery. Building on 50 years of success in satellite earth observation leadership, we are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of large, complex earth observation satellite ground systems. Come be a part of the team bringing imagery from the next generation of satellite constellations to the world. Position Description:
Project based, software development using the latest technologies for a diverse and exciting set of satellite ground station activities. We offer a diverse development environment including client-server applications, web-based user interfaces including interaction with web API and web services design, external system interfaces, and automated software build and test systems.
Successful candidates would join our team as a software developer and can expect to:
- Learn - while you leverage your past work experience, we will teach you about the unique challenges of the satellite ground station domain and our customers.
- Work - you will join a team within the Satellite Ground Systems group. Your team leader and stakeholders will guide and challenge you with project-based work that is best suited to your skills and experience. The software that you develop remains your responsibility. Immerse yourself, and see your results delivered to end customers and used in real-world, geo-spatial applications.
- Grow - your talents will be rewarded with opportunities for career and personal growth in an organization dedicated to success in a team environment.
- Creating engineering solutions that are attractive, cost-effective and have direct impact to our customers.
- Working from requirements and customer interactions to develop or modify complex software applications.
- Planning work, providing effort estimates, driving your work to completion - on time & on budget.
- Designing, coding, testing, debugging and documenting high quality software applications at all levels
- Participating in integration, testing and deployment of software applications at all levels.
- Assisting in troubleshooting problems in development and operational production environments.
- Following established development processes and corporate technical and quality standards.
Candidates must have the following knowledge, experience and skills:
Knowledge and experience in the following areas will be an asset:
- A University Degree or Technical Diploma from an accredited institution in computer science, software engineering, or a combination of related education and experience.
- A demonstrated understanding of object oriented design, programming, data structures and algorithms, software design patterns and work across multiple systems.
- Proficient in an object oriented language such as C++
- Experience with version control (git preferred)
- Understanding of software development process (eg: waterfall, Agile).
- Team-friendly attitude and a willingness to learn and work on all stages of software development including post-delivery support.
- Ability to quickly learn on the job and leverage your past experiences and knowledge.
- Possess excellent problem-solving, critical thinking skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve technical problems within budget and schedule constraints.
Perks of our Richmond facility
- Experience working within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs
- Service-oriented architectures
- Cloud environments (AWS preferred)
- RESTful web APIs and endpoints
- JSON, YAML, XML
- Python and other scripting languages
- Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka and related technologies
- Maven, GitLab CI/CD, Jenkins or other software build tools/CI processes
- Logging via Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK)
- Flexible office hours
- Standard 40 hour work week, overtime is tracked and compensated
- Office and lab-style work environments
- In-house training for both hard and soft skills, professional development funding
- Fitness facilities: aerobics floor with instructor lead classes, free weights, exercise machines and showers
- Full onsite cafeteria serving breakfast & hot daily specials, food trucks and other nearby establishments
- Kitchenettes (with fridges and microwaves) throughout the building offering complimentary coffee and tea
- Ample free parking for cars, motorcycles and bicycles
- Translink bus stop within steps of the building. Shuttle service from Bridgeport skytrain station is also available
- Company sponsored events including some for families with children
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.