Reference ID: 608212
The Household Organization team is focused on making Alexa the best assistant to simplify life - helping families stay organized and connected to each other and making life run a little more smoothly. From setting timers while cooking to checking daily schedules and waking up to Alexa's alarm tone, we help customers manage their time more easily using only their voice. We also help customers get things done and keep their lives in order with services like shopping and to-do lists that are becoming daily habits for people.
We're looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive scientist to help build industry-leading conversational technologies that customers love. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning (ML) in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As an Applied Scientist in our Spoken Language Understanding team, you will work with talented peers to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to advance the state of the art in spoken language understanding and dialog systems. You will utilize Amazon's heterogeneous data sources and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in artificial intelligence. You will collaborate with other scientists and work in a fast paced team environment. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of novel products and services that make use of speech and language technology.
• Master's or PhD in Computer Science (Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• 3+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems
• Algorithm and model development experience for large-scale applications
• Experience using Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
• Experience distilling informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
• PhD with specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, or machine learning with at least 3 years of related work experience
• Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, deep learning, NLP, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval;
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in premier journals and conferences;
• Expert in more than one more major programming languages (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar)
• Proven track record of production achievements, handling gigabyte and terabyte size datasets
• Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high customer impact
• Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment
• Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Posted: March 18, 2019
Closes: May 17, 2019