Amazon S3, Software Development Engineer
Reference ID: 619911
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in distributed computing, developers can durably store their data on AWS's proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. Amazon S3 provides simple APIs that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. While the emerging area of cloud computing has seen tremendous growth over the past few years, we are still in the early stages of realizing its full potential.
The S3 FrontEnd team is looking for passionate, experienced software engineers to build the next generation, internet-scale Tier 1 web services for S3. We own large-scale distributed systems that are responsible for processing every S3 requests as well as APIs responsible for definition, behavior, management and security and enforcement of all S3 buckets.
As a Sr. Software Development Engineer on this team, you will have the unique opportunity of not just designing, developing and owning entire back-end sub-systems with hard distributed system problems but also designing API's that are used by millions of applications around the world and by doing so defining S3 for customers. Additionally as a technical leader, you will mentor and develop Jr/SDE2 engineers as well as driving collaboration with other senior and principal engineers in S3 and have direct influence over the team.
The work you do here is going to significantly drive growth not just in S3 but the AWS ecosystem. It involves creating a reliable, scalable, and flexible web service requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, complex algorithms and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building good software but also about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality.
• Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of innovative software solutions to transform service security, durability, availability, performance and cost.
• Using software engineering best practices to ensure the standard of quality of all team deliverables
• Writing high quality distributed system software
• Effectively estimating time to implement design & consistently making systems simpler
• Thinking in terms of architecture as well as code
• Spending time reviewing code and mentoring SDE2 and Jr. engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of professional software development experience
• Track record of successfully launching projects of significant complexity
• Strong customer focus - understanding of what customers expect from their compute infrastructure and passion for delivering on these problems and satisfying those customers
• Software development experience with a highly-scalable distributed systems
• Able to debug, troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues reported by customers
• MS/Phd Degree in Computer Science
• 7+ years of professional software development experience
• Experience with Amazon EC2, S3, or similar elastic computing and storage facilities
• Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures and algorithms
• Proven track record of designing, building and delivering high quality software on time
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Possess strong analytical skills, with excellent problem solving abilities in the face of ambiguity
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Posted: March 18, 2019
Closes: May 17, 2019