Be part of a fast-growing service that is taking on hard technical challenges to build a high-performance, fully managed graph database. Amazon Neptune is a purpose-built, enterprise-class AWS graph database service. Our team develops Neptune as well as contributes to the overall open-source graph community.
Amazon Neptune is a fast, scalable, fully-managed graph database service that makes it easy to build and run applications that work with highly connected datasets. The core of Amazon Neptune is a purpose-built, high-performance graph database engine optimized for storing hundreds of billions of relationships and querying with milliseconds latency, allowing you to easily build queries that efficiently navigate highly connected datasets. Amazon Neptune supports popular graph models Property Graph and W3C's RDF, and their respective query languages Apache TinkerPop Gremlin and SPARQL to help developers quickly build graph applications.
Neptune powers graph use cases such as recommendation engines, fraud detection, knowledge graphs, drug discovery, network security, and many more. Amazon Neptune is built for cloud scalability, durability, availability, and performance. Neptune is building a purpose-built graph engine and also uses foundational AWS services such as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), and Amazon DynamoDB to deliver a simple and cost-effective database solution for customers worldwide.
We are looking for an experienced, self-motivated engineer who has no fear of going deep and helping teams to solve the toughest graph database problems. As an SDE on Neptune, you will design and deliver new technologies and features that drive Neptune's graph query execution, high availability, reliability, and performance guarantees to AWS customers. You will participate in project execution to develop cutting-edge database services.
This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor in an emerging space that is shaping the future of the industry. We are looking for candidates who will bring deep technical and engineering skills, combined with a passion for agile code development and working in teams with a startup culture within a larger organization. The team is working on various aspects of High-Performance Distributed Computing using CPU, GPU (cuda) and cutting-edge algorithms. You get work with some of the famous researchers in the graph world.
Key opportunities with the role.
* Work on all aspects of a new horizontally scaled distributed database engine system including runtime and new generation storage.
* Opportunities to work with researchers on High Performance computing, distributed transaction management and database algorithms.
* Work with data structures that are highly memory efficient. * Design fast MVCC based distributed transaction management.
* Work on durability and health management of the database engine.
* Work on Statistics based cost based query plan optimization.
* Opportunities to work on CPU, GPU (NVIDIA), FPGA and experiment with advanced features of Graviton and new memory tiers like Optane.
* Opportunity to work on next generation data plane based control-plane for automatic health management and recovery.
* Work on ground up design and implementation of systems that can handle very large scale (trillions of records, hundreds of nodes, high-performance custom-built networks) with hybrid transactional analytical processing (HTAP) workloads.
* Contribute to the Open-Source community.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position may involve on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
A day in the life
- Dive deep into complex engineering challenges and come up with design and implementation plans.
- Collaborate with researchers in the High performance computing world.
- Help customers to solve real-life business and operational issues.
About the team
Please see our tech survey results
- 2+ years of proficiency in C++ or similar languages.
- Passion for working with data-structures and algorithms.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Good understanding of AWS infrastructure.
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C++, Java, or Python
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with High performance computing
• Experience working on database technologies
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities
who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming